Routing across the grain

Timbuck

Reaction score
Has anybody got any tips on routing out a pocket across the grain without getting splintering as the cutter exits the wood.?

I don't know what your application is, but the obvious is to back the exit up with wood either clamped or glued in place.Routing in small depth steps, especially for the 1st entry cut, can be useful too.

Ken, i usually have this problem when routing the mortises on neckblocks. My workaround is to leave the neckblock oversize until the mortise is cut, and then trim it to size and in doing so, cut away the untidy splintered end. I suppose it depends upon what you are working on. Cheers Mike.

Ken, i usually have this problem when routing the mortises on neckblocks. My workaround is to leave the neckblock oversize until the mortise is cut, and then trim it to size and in doing so, cut away the untidy splintered end. I suppose it depends upon what you are working on. Cheers Mike.
Same problem, but with dovetails ..that is the same idea I have come up with, as mine are already cut to size I think I will glue a strip of sacrificial hardwood on the ends first.

Try scoring the outline with a really sharp XActo/hobby knife. I do that with dove tails when making drawers showing contrasting woods.

Try scoring the outline with a really sharp XActo/hobby knife. I do that with dove tails when making drawers showing contrasting woods.
Thanks for the advice ..I have used the sharp blade trick before but I think it would be too fiddly with these neck blocks…if the splintering is not too deep it will disappear when I sand the body on the radius dish and again after the linings have been fitted..It will finally be covered over by the top and won’t be visible at all…But! I will know, and I will not be able to sleep at night worrying about it. :uhoh:

I glued a piece of hardwood over the area where the cutter exits and it did the job fine ..all that was needed afterwards was to remove the remaining wood on the disc sander…Thanks for the input. :)

Top Bottom