I did a dummm thing

socal16

Reaction score
I was restringing a tenor with some nice Worth Clears LG and as I went to trim the A string at the tuner I carelessly snipped the E string and it whacked my hand. I had some Martin fluorocarbons and just replaced the E string so far. It didn’t feel too good but I felt worse about screwing up a new set of strings.

Although that’s a real bummer…

If that’s the worst thing you do this week or month, consider yourself lucky.
After all, you woke up this morning and you got up and out of bed.

I’m not a glass half full sort of guy, rather
I’m a ‘I have a glass’ sort of guy.

So true. I guess I’ll always have three strings lying around (unless I do it again).

If it helps, the first time I changed strings on a tie bar (rather than slotted) bridge, I screwed up two G strings in a row, leaving me with two partial sets. I have the hang of it *now*, but plenty of time to forget.

Fortunately due to an earlier mistake, I had ordered four sets of strings rather than a single set…

This made me laugh. Sorry. I can't remember if I've ever actually done this (probably), but I've come very close many times. Especially with a slotted headstock the nail clippers can get pretty crazy in that slot...

I am a fan of trimming strings. It's one less thing to possibly buzz.

Oh man, when I was playing cello (back when I was much younger), I had an important performance one day. I got to the location and started tuning up, only to have a string snap and hit me across the face. I recovered, and went about re-stringing with my only other set, only to have THE SAME THING HAPPEN AGAIN. I had to cancel my part of the performance, and I've been "string-shy" ever since.

I was restringing my MP 8-String Tenor and was distracted just as I was trimming the ends of the two A-Strings and cut right through them both. Scratch two sets of 8-string Living Waters. I reordered a set and had extras of the other 6 strings.

So, you're not alone.

I loop & twist excess string length at the tuners, (why bother cutting them short), if you snap one near to the bridge end, you can just unwind, pull the string down, & tie it to the bridge again. ;)

On a scale of 1 to 10, that isn't. I've made all sorts of mistakes in my life, but cutting the wrong string and having my hand slapped would not rate an entry in my diary. I have way too many packs of strings - not sure why - so if a string breaks or gets cut, I just open another pack.

You're fortunate enough to have a ukulele or two. enjoy it!

Oh man, when I was playing cello (back when I was much younger), I had an important performance one day. I got to the location and started tuning up, only to have a string snap and hit me across the face. I recovered, and went about re-stringing with my only other set, only to have THE SAME THING HAPPEN AGAIN. I had to cancel my part of the performance, and I've been "string-shy" ever since.

Wow! Did you ever find out why they snapped? The good thing was that it didn't hit you in the eye. Shame about the performance.

Wow! Did you ever find out why they snapped? The good thing was that it didn't hit you in the eye. Shame about the performance.

I didn't! I wish I'd known, because then I might not be afraid (knowing how to avoid it). Even my teacher couldn't figure it out. The second one hit right across my eye, and I was very lucky that the end didn't hit my eye directly. I was about 11, and though the performance felt important at the time, it wasn't like I was being paid. I recovered! :D

I once stuck my hand in a mower because I ran over something (a rock or a twig or something I can't remember). Now, THAT was dumb. I'm lucky to still have 10 fingers today. Only one of my fingernails was extremely bruised.

What you did could have happened to anyone.

I once stuck my hand in a mower because I ran over something (a rock or a twig or something I can't remember). Now, THAT was dumb. I'm lucky to still have 10 fingers today. Only one of my fingernails was extremely bruised.

Funny you should mention that. A man I used to work with stuck his hand into a running mower to get something out. He lost the end of his finger.

Move over, I beat you. Ordered some Aquilla Reds in low G. When the package came, I opened it being pre occupied. Took the scissors and gut the G string in half. Never made it to the instrument at all. Hand me the dunce hat. Will wait for someone to de throne me.

Move over, I beat you. Ordered some Aquilla Reds in low G. When the package came, I opened it being pre occupied. Took the scissors and gut the G string in half. Never made it to the instrument at all. Hand me the dunce hat. Will wait for someone to de throne me.

I like the double-length strings. I put a set on last night, and I had to cut each string in half.

Top Bottom