Puffy tight feeling fingers in the summer

SmileAndUke

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been playing a few years and like to play instrumental pieces. The problem I have is that my finger seem to get puffy in the summer and when hot, and then feel all tight like little sausages. Does anyone else find this? I can still play but it doesn't feel as comfortable or fluid and I hate that tight feeling, like my fingers font move as well as usual. Anyone have any suggestions or solutions?

Tx

You might want to go see a Rheumatologist, better to catch any problems early.

Yes, my solution was central air. I hate the heat. Do you have ac? I do have arthritis, so it's not a bad suggestion to maybe see a rheumatologist.

That's usually a difficulty with your body's ability to return blood to your heart. It pushes blood to your extremities to cool you off and then gets sort of trapped. You may have impingement in your shoulders, particularly in your brachial plexus. Sometimes it's also part of the condition known as "Reynaud's Syndrome." I echo the suggestions to see your doctor, because often this can be treated easily, but they have to know why it is happening, and it could be a sign of something more troubling. I can relate to it, though, having Reynaud's myself! It sucks. I'm sorry you're experiencing this, and I hope it's an easy fix for you! All the best!

No, we don't have any AC (in the UK where it's not common to have it). It's pretty much only linked to when it's hot or I've done something strenuous like exercise. I'm in my 30s but will consider asking the docs.

Maybe your Summer diet combined with a temperature increase? We expand a wee bit with increased heat and extra salt makes it worse. I certainly get "fat" fingers when I consume salty food, and avoid salt before a recording session or performance. Otherwise, no problem.

Check w/your doctor bc this isn't right for some people, but when this starts happening to me, I drink a gigantic cup of diluted gatorade, and take a zyrtec and an excederine (w/caffeine) about 10 min before playing. Then I drink another diluted Gatorade or often just water, as soon as I'm done.

If you won't be touching instruments after, give yourself a hand massage with Muscle Worx or something similar. (If it's really bad possibly aspercreme depending on what your dr says, but the regular one not the lidocaine).

What helps us is drinking (a lot) of strong, leaf (tot tea-bag) green tea, let it sit in water that is not more than 80 degree celsius for 5 minutes (keep it and repeat if wanted for consecutive 10, 20, 40 minutes)...

Try compression socks and gloves, and hydrate.

You may notice that your rings fit looser in the winter than in the summer. That's a function of temperature and humidity. It's normal.

As Peter said, salty foods, such as snacks or Chinese food, can cause your fingers to swell. This can be flushed out by drinking water. But, see next:

You can also be retaining water. Often more in the afternoon and evening than in the morning. A diuretic may be in order.

A temporary way to reduce the swelling is to hold your hands up above your head for several minutes to allow the fluids to drain out of your hands.

Do your feet swell as well? If so, you MAY be having the beginnings of circulation problems. Compression socks could help that.

Ask your doctor if there is cause to be concerned. (Or nurse. We have telehealth "ask a nurse" available in some places.)

Top Bottom