Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SOTU 488

Talking Sotu 488

SOTU 488: Song Associations

I recently discovered a video series on the Elle Youtube channel where they have musicians playing a game of association where they are given a list of words and they have ten seconds to think of a song that is related with that word FOR THEM. The one that I watched was with Jacob Collier as the guest so that is the list we will use for this season. For our purposes there is no ten second time limit to think of a song to perform.

Those that are already familiar with me know I prefer my seasons to be as diverse and inclusive as possible. Along those lines I don't need you to use an exception rule to qualify your submissions. I would like for you to say what your association to the list is though just for the understanding of the viewers. The submissions need not include the word in the title or the work but only be related somehow.

The fifteen words for this week's project are: Stay, Alone, Best, Wild, Sun, Don't, One, Bad, Games, Make, Moon, Fire, Heart, Little, and Hold.

There is also a Father's Day secondary theme for those that are not interested in the main project. This is for songs about Fathers or a duet with your father figure is they are still around. Entries for this theme can also be your Father's favorite song or one that you associate with them.

The usual rules apply:
    The first rule is to have fun! Songs must be newly recorded for this week (midnight Hawaiian time Sunday 06/20/2021 until the end of Sunday 06/27/2021); multi-tracking is welcome as long as the centerpiece of the video is a uke of any sort. Collaborations and originals are encouraged. What is a song limit? :P

The playlist is here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Y2nwQrHePopC-v

Don't forget that there is still time to submit entries for the season of sleep.

Last edited by Harmony Smurf; 06-20-2021 at 11:19 PM.
    Ukulele player since November 2013 and started playing toy piano in July of 2019. Lover of electric ukulele!

IG: @harmonysssmurf
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFt..._as=subscriber
    FB: Kelly Letourneau
    SC: https://soundcloud.com/stargazer-smurf

Bio:

strange, could have sworn that I had a season name when I posted.
    Ukulele player since November 2013 and started playing toy piano in July of 2019. Lover of electric ukulele!

IG: @harmonysssmurf
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFt..._as=subscriber
    FB: Kelly Letourneau
    SC: https://soundcloud.com/stargazer-smurf

Bio:

That sounds interesting, Kelly ... and lots of scope!
    "The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George Bernard Shaw

"Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city" George Burns

Thanks for hosting Kelly. Like you, I like it when the scope is broad. Should be a fun and diverse week ~
    Talk less, play more . . . .

way more mild than wild but it's the song that popped in my head on seeing the word wild in the list...
    Last edited by pabrizzer; 06-20-2021 at 12:24 AM.

i've decided to go with the secondary 'Fathers' Day' theme ... the story of the relationship between father and son ...

the first song that i thought of, for the first word prompt, "stay"...

forgot to say - such a great theme idea!
    Last edited by bird's eye view of my ukelele; 06-20-2021 at 12:34 AM.
    lynda

i'm interested in one thing, and one thing only. and that's the eighties.

Cheers Kelly. Thanks for the generous variety of choices. Here is a moon song. A tale of unrequited love. A milkman in love with the moon.

I really liked this song when it came out. It is about a boy spending time with his father, and perhaps escaping the bullies at school. His father drives a JCB digger and holds up the traffic on the roads. Now that must give a sense of power to a small kid who is having trouble at school.

HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

Here's one for the second part of the theme. My dad will be the first to tell you that what musical talent I do have was in no way inherited from him, but he's supported me a lot with my music this year.

A couple days ago he put in a request for me to play a specific song at some point and I declined because it's the same four chords all the way through. He came round for Father's Day today and I told him the theme and said I'd do the song but he had to join in. So I told him which keys to press on my piano and away we went, first take. I think he did alright.

"Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

Facebook

YouTube

Stream my album

Buy my album

Thread Information