SOTU 488

Hi Kelly! I’m Liz. Nice to meet you. Here is one for the word Don’t, a disco classic from my childhood. Thelma Houston had a hit with it in the US in the ‘70s. Del tells me there is a good cover by The Communards from 1986. I am traveling with my Mom in New Mexico currently and had to leave all my backup singers at home.

Don’t Leave Me This Way
Kenneth Gamble, Leon Huff, Cary Gilbert

After recording Bad Leroy Brown, I turned the page in Jim's songbook and saw this one.
If the first was a bad one, this is bad too!
It wasn't till I was adding the titles I realised it is also a moon!
It's the Mike Krabbers version in Am

Last edited:
This one features the word ‘wild’. It’s a Richard Thompson song - I particularly love the Christy Moore version. I added in some synth piano, strings and bass, along with some vocal harmonies. :)

I am happy so far with meeting the new seasonistas, old friends, and with seeing lots of new-to-me songs being covered or written. I finished page 3 so if your entry is missing I will take care of it tomorrow if you send me a private message. I have a bit of a migraine tonight so I can't catch up further until tomorrow. I am also hoping to eventually be able to participate this week as well. Sorry for not staying on the task of being host better!

This one is in response to “one”, a little piece by Fernando Sor.

Another of my collaborations from FAWM. Lyrics by Elizabeth Petty and melody by me. This starts off fitting "Alone".... but ends up firmly in the "Heart" camp.

We hope you like:

Excellent theme giving every one an excuse to perform.Thanks for hosting.My version is just one of many.

I know you’ve all been awake again for the better part of a week, but can I distract you with a (very short) season 486 wrap?

Else back to your regularly scheduled season.

Hey, people!

Sorry I've not been around for a few weeks. I fully intended to join in last Season and had a song prepared and then disaster struck unexpectedly. I returned home one day to find that my beloved 8 string had self destructed in spectacular fashion. The entire bridge had wrenched itself free from the body with considerable force - those 8 strings create a bit of tension! It took ages to find the saddle which had been flung across the room.
Obviously I was very shocked/gutted/heart broken.
20210619_175614.jpg
At present, she's in the capable hands of a friendly neighbourhood luthier who assures me that she'll be fine after he's performed his magic...

Anyway, onto this Season...

Cheers for hosting, Kelly. I've gone with 'moon' and a Michael Hurley song based on a children's poem by Mildred Plew Meigs.

Here's a short and sweet little Beatles tune that I thought of when I saw the word "Sun":

Hi again! I heard this at work today and could not get it out of my head, had to do it.
Ended up drawing something as well!
I like Ron Sexsmith's songs a lot. This one has a sun in it...
Wait, everyone of us needs the sun...which means every song works.
Haha.
Just talking silly Kelly, and girls and boys.
Hope you all will enjoy this.

Yet another one from me... This little rocker was also written during FAWM 2021. It's one of mine though, not a collaboration. The inspiration for this was the "Paint Name Challenge". Someone posted a list of the pretentious names of paints on one of those cards the paint shops have to display their colours. The task was to choose one and write a song inspired by the name. I chose "Indigo Flame" - hence this song is linked to "FIRE" in the list for this season.

I hope you like:

An anthem of the middle-age crisis

Top Bottom