SOTU 488

Harmony Smurf

Reaction score
Sotu 488

SOTU 488: Song Associations

I recently discovered a video series on the Elle Youtube channel where they have musicians playing a game of association where they are given a list of words and they have ten seconds to think of a song that is related with that word FOR THEM. The one that I watched was with Jacob Collier as the guest so that is the list we will use for this season. For our purposes there is no ten second time limit to think of a song to perform.

Those that are already familiar with me know I prefer my seasons to be as diverse and inclusive as possible. Along those lines I don't need you to use an exception rule to qualify your submissions. I would like for you to say what your association to the list is though just for the understanding of the viewers. The submissions need not include the word in the title or the work but only be related somehow.

The fifteen words for this week's project are: Stay, Alone, Best, Wild, Sun, Don't, One, Bad, Games, Make, Moon, Fire, Heart, Little, and Hold.

There is also a Father's Day secondary theme for those that are not interested in the main project. This is for songs about Fathers or a duet with your father figure is they are still around. Entries for this theme can also be your Father's favorite song or one that you associate with them.

The usual rules apply:
The first rule is to have fun! Songs must be newly recorded for this week (midnight Hawaiian time Sunday 06/20/2021 until the end of Sunday 06/27/2021); multi-tracking is welcome as long as the centerpiece of the video is a uke of any sort. Collaborations and originals are encouraged. What is a song limit? :p

The playlist is here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMaZgt105GF7KdBx-PnY2nwQrHePopC-v

Don't forget that there is still time to submit entries for the season of sleep.

Last edited:
That sounds interesting, Kelly ... and lots of scope!

Thanks for hosting Kelly. Like you, I like it when the scope is broad. Should be a fun and diverse week ~

i've decided to go with the secondary 'Fathers' Day' theme ... the story of the relationship between father and son ...

the first song that i thought of, for the first word prompt, "stay"...

forgot to say - such a great theme idea!

Last edited:
Cheers Kelly. Thanks for the generous variety of choices. Here is a moon song. A tale of unrequited love. A milkman in love with the moon.

I really liked this song when it came out. It is about a boy spending time with his father, and perhaps escaping the bullies at school. His father drives a JCB digger and holds up the traffic on the roads. Now that must give a sense of power to a small kid who is having trouble at school.

Here's one for the second part of the theme. My dad will be the first to tell you that what musical talent I do have was in no way inherited from him, but he's supported me a lot with my music this year.

A couple days ago he put in a request for me to play a specific song at some point and I declined because it's the same four chords all the way through. He came round for Father's Day today and I told him the theme and said I'd do the song but he had to join in. So I told him which keys to press on my piano and away we went, first take. I think he did alright.

I'm not going to pretend I thought of this one inside 10 seconds, but it did come to me fairly quickly :). It's a They Might Be Giants B-side (of Ana Ng, as I've just looked up) that I always felt deserved more attention. It's associated with "Moon", and feels like a bit of a word association game in itself. There's a children's book of the same title by Nancy Willard, which I assume was the inspiration.

Just me and an 8-string this time, for once, no overdubs...

Last edited:
Thanks for hosting,Kelly!
I’ve been listening to a lot of David Gray recently - he has written some of my favourite songs ever. This one is an album track and I love it. The word ‘wild’ features several times in the outro. Some added synth strings, bass and piano. :)

Hello seasonistas! It's been a while since I contributed I think due to lack of mojo

Last edited:
Thanks for hosting Kelly! This is a cover of the song 'Never My Love' by The Association. I'd been performing this one live recently with a newly formed band, and we were planning to record it, but schedules didn't sort out for today. After mixing the rhythm tracks I decided to try adding some electric ukulele and vocals. This sketch is the result of those efforts today. The word heart features in the lyrics, and i'm sure there are other words that could be inferred, but at least it meets the minimum requirements to qualify here :) I hope everyone is well ~

I apologize for being a day behind. Had to help my brother move a few things to his storage. I am now partially caught up and there is a playlist now of the ones I have commented on. I'll do the second page songs when I wake up again today.

Top Bottom