SOTU 488

This was the first one that came to mind for "Hold". It's "Hold On", a Tom Waits song from his 2002 album Mule Variations, featuring three more ukuleles than there were on the original:

He's not the most fashionable artist around, but in my very humble opinion, Gilbert O'Sullivan wrote two of the best songs ever at the start of his career. I have done one of them (Nothing Rhymed) a few times, but when I saw "Alone" in that list of words I knew it was time to try the other one.

Just finished commenting on the entries on the second page of the thread. I will catch up eventually! :D

As an aside, I am very happy with all the songs that have come up already that are associated with the moon. I am an avid amateur astronomer and just adore our moon. Here is a photo I took through one of my telescopes of the moon using a cell phone adapter back in February.

full size Moon feb 26th 2021.jpg

This is for the Father's Day theme. It's a Drive-By Truckers song I've been wanting to play for a couple of years.

to continue with the Fathers' Day theme, the follow-up to A Boy Named Sue ...
You'd never get away with writing a song like this in 2021 so please, if you're easily offended, don't watch this ....

love for three oranges... boy that's getting it cheap.... Father
love for three oranges... they are so mightly Orange.... Son

I chose to treat this theme as if it were one of the songwriting challenges in FAWM, where we are offered a list of words and have to come up with a song using as many of them as possible. In this case, I wrote a little break up song with all of the words listed (in order too).

I am also using my latest G.A.S. purchase here: a Les Paul Copy by a company called Smiger (a combination of Smile & Singer, apparently... Why don't these guys consult a native English speaker?). It's quite some guitar for the price. I have done the Peter Green Modification on it... if that means anything to any of you 😈... You can find a video of my mod and a review of the guitar on my YouTube Channel.

Hope you enjoy:

PS - What do you think of the new "summer ready" me?

Here's one to fit the word 'alone'. One of those gems of a pop song that just works no matter the genre you put it in.

Good chance to give my electric organ a decent workout too.

Chose "Sun" therefore Summertime.

Instrumental, Uke,Clari and Piano. Improv and jam.

My second offering is a song I wrote at FAWM this year in which the narrator fears being left alone.... It's funny how our fears change in each stage of our lives, isn't it?

Hope you enjoy:

SOTU 488 - "All ThroughThrowing Good Love After Bad" by Guy Clark & Verlon Thompson. The song was included on GC's 1988 album "Old Friends," which is a lovely record that includes Clark,Sam Bush, Roseanne Cash,Rodney Crowell, Vince Gill, Verlon Thompson and Emmylou Harris, among others.

"Sun" - down. Gordon Lightfoot. Great season!

Here's an old western swing number by Tommy Duncan called Stay All Night.
The words don't make a lot of sense. I think he just threw in anything that rhymed.

I am very happy with all the songs that have come up already that are associated with the moon. I am an avid amateur astronomer and just adore our moon. Here is a photo I took through one of my telescopes of the moon using a cell phone adapter back in February.

View attachment 134377
great pic! i can't match that, but the moon was lovely and bright tonight, and quite low in the sky, when i saw it, so i took some snaps, and tried to write a little song!

"the moon so bright"

Another Fruit of the FAWM.... This one has lyrics by Doug Haberman to which I set a tune and then recorded the song; though this is a new setting for this Season.

It fits the bill here because it deals with a narrator who now finds him or herself alone. Has their partner abandoned them, or has he or she died?

I hope you like:

A further contribution from me on the "Alone" theme. It's another one I wrote during FAWM. This time the "skirmish" prompt was "Dance with Sorrow" - we had an hour to write, record and post an mp3 of the song to the site. This is what I came up with.

I hope you like:

Hi Kelly, i like your theme. Interesting list of words. I chose the word "don't" as the theme related to my video.
These are sketches for an animation i am working on, it is about a kid who does not want to see nor listen.

I decided to pair these sketches with a song with a positive message.

i like Don Dolese's songs very much. This one is called Happiness. You can find Mr. Dolese's original in my video description.

PS. hey Rob, thank you for introducing Don's wonderful music to me when i first joined the Seasons. Hope you are doing OK.

Last edited:
Ahoy
I thought of two things as soon as I saw the 1st word on the list. The first was Lay Lady Lay by Dylan and the second was Wandering Star by Portishead - since I already did Wandering Star some time ago then I stuck with the 1st idea.

Top Bottom