Timothy (the Buoys)

John,

What a crazy coincidence! I was talking with someone about this song about a week ago, and I mentioned the -ahem- possible cannibalism. They couldn't remember the song and found it difficult to believe it was played on the radio. Fun fact, the song was written by Rupert Holmes who had a big hit with "Escape (The Pina Colada Song). Great job, John.

Bill

Thanks, Bill! Nice coincidence! Some radio stations did actually refuse to play it, so it could have gotten higher than #17 in the charts. There's a video on YouTube with Rupert Holmes talking about the song and performing it! :)

Thank for doing this one, John - I almost did it a few weeks back when the Season was Up/Down/High/Low... but ran out of time, and then family issues got in the way of doing videos again...

I remember the whole "Oh, Timothy was a Burro/Donkey/Something Else" furor that was (and keeps) going on.... Holmes just smiles, and closes his mouth.

Maybe Timothy just went out for a Pina Colada, and escaped?

As I said elsewhere John, this isn’t a song I’d ever heard before today, and I can’t find any reference to it ever having been released here in the U.K. I’ve been reading about it though, and it’s story is certainly interesting. The theory is that the band couldn’t get a record company interested in them so had to promote their music themselves. They deliberately made this song controversial in order to at least obtain publicity. As it reached number 13 in the US charts, and number 9 in Canada, it obviously had the desired affect! lol
Great job though mate, as always.

Thank for doing this one, John - I almost did it a few weeks back when the Season was Up/Down/High/Low... but ran out of time, and then family issues got in the way of doing videos again...

I remember the whole "Oh, Timothy was a Burro/Donkey/Something Else" furor that was (and keeps) going on.... Holmes just smiles, and closes his mouth.

Maybe Timothy just went out for a Pina Colada, and escaped?

Thanks, Kurt! The singer of the song seems traumatized by the experience to the point he can't remember what happened, so I doubt it was a donkey that was eaten! I hope you'll add your cover to the song to YouTube! :)

As I said elsewhere John, this isn’t a song I’d ever heard before today, and I can’t find any reference to it ever having been released here in the U.K. I’ve been reading about it though, and it’s story is certainly interesting. The theory is that the band couldn’t get a record company interested in them so had to promote their music themselves. They deliberately made this song controversial in order to at least obtain publicity. As it reached number 13 in the US charts, and number 9 in Canada, it obviously had the desired affect! lol
Great job though mate, as always.

Thanks, Dave! Rupert Holmes wrote another song for the Buoys called "Give Up Your Guns." It didn't chart as highly as "Timothy," but interestingly this song did very well in some European countries!

I never heard this song before....its creepy as hell. You did a great job playing and singing it. I think playing such a dark song on the chipper and pleasant sounding uke, makes it even more creepy....which is a neat effect.

I never heard this song before....its creepy as hell. You did a great job playing and singing it. I think playing such a dark song on the chipper and pleasant sounding uke, makes it even more creepy....which is a neat effect.

Thanks, v30! It's probably the darkest song I've ever tried, even more than Gollum's Song!

Thanks, v30! It's probably the darkest song I've ever tried, even more than Gollum's Song!

Just checked out your Gollum's song on youtube. It was awesome. Great vid of Gollum playing in background and you morphing at the end was a nice touch.

Just checked out your Gollum's song on youtube. It was awesome. Great vid of Gollum playing in background and you morphing at the end was a nice touch.

Thanks, v30! I really appreciate it! :)

Top Bottom