Aklot bamboo tenor nut width

Wow, don’t know what happened there. I had a much longer thread. It the bamboo tenor 1 3/8 or 1.5 for nutmwidth? Would owners describe profile of neck ad D , deeper and fatter? I purchased an Aklot 5 string. It’s great for price and I like the 1.5 nut width and D profile neck.

Comments please.

I’ve wanted to try a bamboo ukulele I’ve read some posts on it here. Reports have been good. There isn’t much detail in the listing and the actual Aklot site, gives off warning and doesn’t load on my iPad.

My first internet, Amazon purchase was pretty good for the Aklot Solid mahogany top…….despite the usual warning. I’d chance a bamboo just to try it.

I have the 4 string cutaway. I think it's a really good instrument and recommend it. When I first saw it online, I thought it needed a little visual enhancing, so I changed the nut and saddle to black, used black and gold strap buttons that match the tuning machines, added black stick-on fret markers top and side, black strings and black beads at the bridge end of the strings. Looks right now.

Aklot bamboo cutaway.jpg

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly Grove near the Beverly Center
8 tenor cutaway ukes, 4 acoustic bass ukes, 10 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 36)

Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
Member The CC Strummers: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Wow, don’t know what happened there. I had a much longer thread. It the bamboo tenor 1 3/8 or 1.5 for nutmwidth? Would owners describe profile of neck ad D , deeper and fatter? I purchased an Aklot 5 string. It’s great for price and I like the 1.5 nut width and D profile neck.

Comments please.
Hi there. I'm after a wider nut ukulele to learn on, so your question interested me.

It seems, from this (slightly garbled) review...

http://ianchadwick.com/blog/kmise-and-aklot-ukuleles/#:~:text=The width at the nut,1 1/2″)

...that the nut width is 1 3/8".

That tallies with this assessment:-

https://ukestuff.files.wordpress.com/2019/10/ukeguide-aklot-bamboo-tenor-ukulele.pdf

Also, while I've been reading around on the subject, I've read quite a bit about Aklot and Kmise and what some people consider to be some fairly shady business practices - paying for reviews etc. I'd be minded to take care buying from them.

Kohanmike………thanks great job. I’ve seen your pics……adding black fret dots, nut, saddle and strap buttons looks great. Can you comment on neck profile. I’ve always thought D was deep and thicker. My Aklot 5 string is 1.5” nut width and what I’m calling deep D profile. Very comfy.

Thanks GF1……that review summary say about 1.38” if you convert mm. I was hoping for 1.5”. I like that width but do have several 1 3/8” width Ponos and they play fine.

Bamboo Aklot seems like a pretty solid instrument on the cheap.

Looks good Mike. Do you remember the original nut width and string spacing at the nut, and did you widen the string spacing when you installed the new nut?

The nut is 1/32 less then 1 3/8, the string space is 1 1/6. I bought a ready made nut with the slots done.

Kohanmike… thanks great job. I’ve seen your pics… adding black fret dots, nut, saddle and strap buttons looks great. Can you comment on neck profile. I’ve always thought D was deep and thicker. My Aklot 5 string is 1.5” nut width and what I’m calling deep D profile. Very comfy. Thanks GF1……that review summary say about 1.38” if you convert mm. I was hoping for 1.5”. I like that width but do have several 1 3/8” width Ponos and they play fine. Bamboo Aklot seems like a pretty solid instrument on the cheap.

I would call mine a C profile, not too deep. I once had a tenor Fluke and didn't like the deeper and squared of profile of the neck, so I sold it.

Top Bottom