Color Tone Lacquer

Pegasus Guitars

Reaction score
Here in Hawaii, getting flammable finishes is not easy, or cheap. Shipping can be more than the material. I use Sherwin Williams Nitro, but don't like it all that much. The last time I got Cardinal, the Hazmat shipping on 4 gallons was over $250.00. Stew-Mac is one of the few that will ship lacquer to Hawaii. Interested in hearing a report on how Color Tone Nitro works. Thanks, Bob

Thanks for the responses. Sherwin Williiams is certainly cheap enough, and is the only locally available lacquer. We used to be able to get Mohawk from a distributor on Oahu, and I don't remember having any issues with it. SW works O.K., but I always wonder about other types. I have some Color Tone on the way. It will cost about 3 times as much as the SW, but still worth a try. Enjoy your building!-Bob

I was offered a gallon of Cardinal recently for three hundred and twenty pounds. Thats four hundred and forty five dollars. (I can't embed the numbers and symbols) Two hundred and fifty dollars shipping for FOUR gallons doesn't;t sound too bad now does it Bob? :) Stick with Sherwin - if it's good enough for Chuck its... (finish sentence)

Last edited:
Pete- That is pretty pricey. I never stick with anything for very long. Good enough is not good enough! There is always a better way. When I stop looking for that, I think I'll quit building. Take care.-Bob

Gouging I think is the American term... Just out of interest, how much do you guys in the US pay for Cardinal?

They sell all sorts of luthier finishes but here is one:

Cardinal Luthierlac spray lacquer, 1 quart/32 oz $29.10
Cardinal Luthierlac Spray Lacquer is a solvent borne gloss nitrocellulose lacquer designed specifically for musical instruments.

Top Bottom