Sometimes a little music theory is good

clear

Reaction score
A few days ago, I overheard my son playing the scales on my guitar. I hadn't taught him anything on the guitar because he showed zero interest in the uke.

I was so surprised so I asked him about it later. He said that he figured out that each fret is 1/2 step and he already know the scale increments. He played the scale on a single string.

Well, long story short, I bought him a guitar, and he's really into it. It's too bad he's not into the uke, then I wouldn't have to buy him anything. But, I'm happy, I jam together with him almost every day.

So, I'm thinking, music theory is kind of boring, but knowing just a little can sometimes be really useful.

I think the realization that each fret is 1/2 step increment is good to know; for example, it explains why barre chords work, or even without barring, how to play up the neck.

What has been the most useful to you?

There are two pieces of theory I believe all players should know.
Building the major scale and the major chord scale. I major, II & III minor, IV & V major, VI minor(relative), VII diminished.

I have never been bored learning something new as long as it is interesting. Maybe people think music theory is boring because it is called "theory" instead of "practical and essential knowledge to improve your musical fun." Or maybe, "music trivia." "Fun music facts"...etc.

I always suggest that people check out

https://edly.com/theory-book/

It is full of great information and is written in a light hearted fashion. It actually makes theory fun rather than dry and dusty.

This evening I transposed a song I was having trouble singing in the key of C to two different keys, both easier, and I’m feeling tremendously pleased with myself. First time I’ve done that!

I suppose that’s music theory in action, right?

The Circle of 5ths.

Basic Circle-of-5ths.jpg

And this: https://www.scales-chords.com/chordid.php

When you, by happenstance, make an unusual chord shape that you like, plug in the notes and this site will show you which chords use those notes.

...plus many, many more ways to help learn the fretboard.

-Wiggy

Last edited:
I know nothing about music theory.

Until someone asks me to explain what I'm doing, and I find out I know more than a little.

Except that I still think of the Root as something under a plant, and Tonic as something someone (else) drinks with gin (also someone else).

But I can describe different fingering positions, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd positions for the same chord, and how sometimes shifting position of (what I think is called the ) I chord can move you into an effortless shift onto the IV or V chord, or even their relative minor chord (which I couldn't have told you about, had I been intentionally thinking of it).

So I guess some theory has rubbed off on me over the years - enough that I can help someone else play better, even if I don't.

-Kurt​

When I printed off the Tiki King transposing wheel device, it changed my life.

John Colter

I have never been bored learning something new as long as it is interesting. Maybe people think music theory is boring because it is called "theory" instead of "practical and essential knowledge to improve your musical fun." Or maybe, "music trivia." "Fun music facts"...etc.

I get bored with trying to learn music theory because I have no idea what to do with what I'm learning. So I decide to spend my time on other things.
I'm not sure what to do with the fun music facts....

I'm not sure what to do with the fun music facts....

Fun music facts can reduce the need for brute-force memorization.

For example, open A (2100 fingering); knowing the fun music fact that each fret is 1/2 step, saves you a lot of memorization. Without the fun fact that each fret is 1/2 step, a person must memorize "A shape, Bb is barre on 1st fret, B is on 2nd, C is 3rd, etc." If you know the fun fact, you just need to remember, "root is on 1st string" (actually, you can just as easily figure it out if you can't remember root is on 1st string).

View attachment 134432

I made this up, as I was confused about where "Middle C" was in relation the Bass and Treble staffs.

-W

Are you familiar with the U-clef?

U_Clef.jpg

Its 2 dots surround the G4 note on the staff. I.e. It's just like the G-clef except the U-clef moves the G staff line up by 1 line.

This U-clef avoids ledger lines for the Uke; hence it's called U-clef.

Fun music facts can reduce the need for brute-force memorization.

For example, open A (2100 fingering); knowing the fun music fact that each fret is 1/2 step, saves you a lot of memorization. Without the fun fact that each fret is 1/2 step, a person must memorize "A shape, Bb is barre on 1st fret, B is on 2nd, C is 3rd, etc." If you know the fun fact, you just need to remember, "root is on 1st string" (actually, you can just as easily figure it out if you can't remember root is on 1st string).

So, it's helpful if you play chords? I don't sing, so I just fingerpick.

I keep circling back to music theory, because it seems like I *should* learn it, but I get bored because it's just a lot of memorization, (so it doesn't save memorization), and I have no idea how to apply it to anything.

That's the missing key for me, I think. What do I do with it?

This was my first music theory fact and it has incorporated its way into my playing.

Oh, it's a real fact? Shows you how little I know.
So, what do you do with that fact?
Maybe I can get back to trying to learn music theory if I knew what to do with it.

2212221 is the answer you seek.

Maybe that's the answer, but I don't know what the question is, or what those numbers represent. With nothing to specifically state what it is in reference to, it lacks context.

Which is why I quoted Barrytone's message - if I had not, no one would have a clue what I was referring to.

-Kurt​

I haven't read this thread because I feel absolutely no kinship with people who refuse to understand their instrument. So I don't know the context of 2212221, but those numbers are the intervals (measured in half steps) of the Ionian mode/major scale

Maybe that's the answer, but I don't know what the question is, or what those numbers represent. With nothing to specifically state what it is in reference to, it lacks context.

Which is why I quoted Barrytone's message - if I had not, no one would have a clue what I was referring to.

-Kurt​

Perhaps he meant the major scale? WWHWWWH, but written at 1/2 steps.

The G clef has always been movable; there's no need to introduce another clef that does exactly the same thing.

I thought there was another clef that was moveable but not G?

Top Bottom