String Spacing Is A Thing

BadMonk

Reaction score
It's time for me to move to an intermediate level uke, tenor. Based on choice of wood (cedar), my first choice was Pono until I read about the broomstick necks. Then, I found a used Kala Elite made of Honduran Mahogony (Doghair). That was my choice until I learned about the Ko'Aloha Opio. After much more (too much?) research, confusion set in - Rebel, Ohana, Flight, You Name It. I ended up back at the Opio until I read a thread here about string spacing. Yeah makes sense but ... my head hurts. The beginner ukes I'm selling to buy the intermediate instrument have 1.5 inches at the nut. My budget isn't pro level money; it's like $500 - $900. And string spacing trumps type of wood (cedar) at this point. Can anyone point me to intermediate tenors with wide string spacing, not just nut width? I ask because specs are, as you know, often hard to find even on manufacturer's sites. (I am, like many people, stuck with buying online btw) Thanks.

You might want to check out the Ukulele Site. They give a lot of details, including string spacing, much of the time.
For example, for a tenor Opio, they list:

String Spacing
At Nut: G to C = 9.92mm G to A = 28mm
At 12th fret: G to C = 12.3mm G to A = 33.75m
At Saddle: G to C = 13.82mm G to A = 42mm

Nut Width: 1.5”/38.15mm

Hope that helps.

Adding the link to the ukulele listing I'm posting that from:
https://theukulelesite.com/koaloha-...to-10-select-from-available-kto-10-21586.html

The industry common "standard" is 3/8" (9.52 mm) string spacing. With neck and nut widths that vary by mfg. There are a few makers that use 10, 11 or 12mm string spacing. But, they aren't the norm.

You can buy a blank nut and cut your own, but that may not fit the neck by being too close to the fretboard edges.

Last edited:
Joyful Uke and Kenn: Thanks, I saw those numbers on spacing for the Opio when researching (alot...lol). That was an unusual amount of great detail, from what I saw elsewhere. Good to understand the industry standard. I'm thinking at my level perhaps string spacing isn't as much a deal breaker as I was going on about it. Actually, some of the 1.5 nut widths on my Lanikais, Islanders, Etc. are probably different and I never noticed. I'll probably just proceed looking at nut width and keep the standard in my back pocket for future reference. Thanks again!

I contacted Kala about string spacing spec on the Doghair uke. They didn't know measurement though.
I just have to decide between the Kala Elite Doghair tenor and the Opio tenor.

I contacted Kala about string spacing spec on the Doghair uke. They didn't know measurement though.
I just have to decide between the Kala Elite Doghair tenor and the Opio tenor.

My tenor Kala Elite has 10mm string spacing. My Opio tenor has 9mm.

At your price range, at that mid-level in terms of quality, there aren't that many options if you want wider string spacing. KoAlohas are deceptive since they have a wide nut but strings spacing is similar to a standard 35mm nut. Same with the Rebel ukes, I believe. One brand that spring to mind is aNueNue with their AMM3 (mahogany) and AKK3 (koa) tenors. They have a 36mm nut and 29mm string spacing from G to A if I recall correctly. Not quite the widest but certainly more comfortable already. They are excellent ukes in general as well and are regarded as better quality than their price might suggest. Then there's the Romero Creations Grand Tenor and Replica Tenor which I think have a 38mm nut and 30mm string spacing, although I'm not quite certain. It's best to check before you buy. Haven't played those so I can't comment further. I think most of the mid-range Flight ukes like the Fireball have a wide nut/string spacing as well but I don't know if you've disregarded that brand already.

Have you looked at the Anuenue AMM3? 29.48mm G-to-A string spacing. A bit hard to find one at the moment. Plenty of AKK3s around, but it's a big increase in price going to Koa.

Thanks very much everyone! That is great information and really helps me a good bit. I have more research to do but it's focused research this time, and that's a good thing!

I own a bunch of ukes and have played many more and have to admit that I have absolutely no idea of their nut size or spacing and for some don't know the wood either. They are fun to play. The danger is to waste too much time on reading up on marketing specs and dwelling on details that may not matter at all, instead of just playing, learning, and enjoying.

Bill, you must have been reading my mind. As I explained the results of my research to my wife, I said that to her in the form of a question - "I guess the nut can be cut for wider spacing?" I really like that idea. Might just run with that and see where I can go. Thank you.

I believe Islanders have wider string spacing. Check out their line of solid woods.

From my limited experience playing ukes from soprano to full size guitars, string spacing is not the only thing you need to look at. Fret width affects things too. When I play a D chord Shape on my tenor I can have my fingers more vertically spaced than when I play the A chord(same shape) on my 23 in scale guitar. If you go up the fretboard it becomes even more obvious. I have to spread my fingers out more sideways on the guitar but it is still comfortable. If you have a baritone and capo different positions on the fretboard you’ll probably have a good idea on how a wider string spacing would feel like. Measure that and look for a uke with that same size at the nut. I hope I make any sense at all to you guys! LOL

As far as I Know, Islander, Kanilea, Romero Creations grand tenor and the replica are wider than average at the nut.

I don’t feel any difference between the Pono and the Opio that I have.

I own a bunch of ukes and have played many more and have to admit that I have absolutely no idea of their nut size or spacing and for some don't know the wood either. They are fun to play. The danger is to waste too much time on reading up on marketing specs and dwelling on details that may not matter at all, instead of just playing, learning, and enjoying.

A waste of time to one person is the whole point of an internet forum to another!

It's time for me to move to an intermediate level uke, tenor. Based on choice of wood (cedar), my first choice was Pono until I read about the broomstick necks. Then, I found a used Kala Elite made of Honduran Mahogony (Doghair). That was my choice until I learned about the Ko'Aloha Opio. After much more (too much?) research, confusion set in - Rebel, Ohana, Flight, You Name It. I ended up back at the Opio until I read a thread here about string spacing. Yeah makes sense but ... my head hurts. The beginner ukes I'm selling to buy the intermediate instrument have 1.5 inches at the nut. My budget isn't pro level money; it's like $500 - $900. And string spacing trumps type of wood (cedar) at this point. Can anyone point me to intermediate tenors with wide string spacing, not just nut width? I ask because specs are, as you know, often hard to find even on manufacturer's sites. (I am, like many people, stuck with buying online btw) Thanks.

Hi, string spacing is very important, for me ukulele have to be comfortable at the 1st place.
But a sound is also important right :D?

-koaloha (27.7-28mm SP a the nut) thier unique bracing is loud and lightweight !!!
-kala elites (30-30.5mm) has x-bracing since i think 2k19 (correct me if im wrong) elite koa/doghair might be not as loud as opio, you need to read this review: https://fraryguitar.com/kala_elite_doghair.htm
- romeros ukes also has wider string spacing, pepe remero uses back bracing on his instrument, so... when the uke is pressed against the body, the volume is reduced.

"One characteristic of Kala's Doghair design is a stiff soundboard, probably due to their massive x-bracing. A stiff soundboard allows increased dynamic range but requires more force than a lightly braced soundboard to set the string in motion. The bottom line is I have to pluck the string more forcefully than my other 'ukuleles. If you're craving a soft touch instrument, the Doghair isn't for you. But if you can handle the extra string resistance, you'll be rewarded with bucket loads of tone and dynamic range."

- i wonder if 1-koa model is the same.

as always, sorry for my poor eng, Im keep lerning :)

Last edited:
Hi Final_form, I didn't know that about the Romero ukes. By the way, your Eng is as good as I've read on other forums, written by Americans.

I waver back and forth from the Opio and Kala Doghair because I wonder if my 'reliance' on wide nuts (Islanders, Lanikais, Etc.) was that I never played a smaller stringed instrument. I've played other things (sax, keyboards, flute) but the only stringed one was bass guitar which isn't small like a uke. If that's the case, then the Opio would be a good upgrade...then again so would the Kala...LOL. Maybe I wouldn't notice the difference. Mims thinks I might not and maybe she's right.

Kanilea's lowest-end tenor in the Oha series is a little above your budget. I think the street price is $995.

But it has a good reputation. Kanilea and Islander (their budget line) have 1.5" nut widths on their tenors.

I don't know much about Cordoba but at least half of their line has 1.5" nut widths. That includes the Cordoba 35T which is an all-solid acacia. The street price is $500. I have no experience at all with Cordoba ukuleles.

Top Bottom