From Bad to Worse

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I mentioned that I'm modifying a tenor Fluke. In doing so, I removed the bridge. When I put it back, one side was slightly raised, and it caused the C string to buzz slightly. Since I had used both glue and screws, I figured that was as far as I could go.

I removed the original bridge and installed a standard-type bridge. After putting the strings back on, I saw that the action was way too high because the bridge is high.

I will have to file/sand the bridge down and also file/sand the slot for the saddle. If only I had left well enough alone and left the original bridge in place. :(

I'm not looking for advice here. I'm just venting. :)

That's why I leave that kind of stuff for the perfeshinuls :p :nana: :biglaugh: #imlaughingwithyounotatyou

Geez, Jerry! Just drive the hour to Magic Fluke and pick up a new bridge! or call them! I'm sure Dale and Phyllis would be happy to help!

-Kurt​

I'm working on it. I have to file the new bridge down, too, because it's a lot higher than the original.
I cannot understand why you did not measure it before fitting/gluing it on the Uke … I spend quite some time on bridges making sure they are the correct hight I even have a gauge I made to check before gluing.

Last edited:
One thing I discovered about Magic Fluke instruments - the saddle is very low. Maybe that's because of the zero fret. I don't know. The bridge is very thin, and the saddle is very short. I'm making progress, though.

I can relate, not with ukes but with most things I try to "fix". Vent away and you won't have a stroke.

This is a Fluke I bought used, with a faded/worn top. It's not a KoAloha, so I don't mind experimenting. I don't mind taking chances and experimenting on things that aren't life or death or aren't repairable. I have the bridge/saddle at the same height as the original combination now, so progress will continue. Hopefully, I'll post pictures later.

I got the bridge and saddle sized right, giving me about 3mm of action at the 12th fret. This is going to be a steampunk ukulele. ;)

I attached two gears to the bridge, and I'm going to glue other things to the top. Yes, it will probably affect the sound negatively, but I'm not making this for better sound. Although I haven't compared it to a regular Fluke, it sounds okay to me. I might add a sound port because that printed vinyl is covering the sound hole. That vinyl is why I removed the original bridge. Getting that sticky sheet neatly over the bridge would have been difficult.

05.jpg

I like it. Kool... How about a picture of the whole instrument.

Thanks. A picture of the whole thing will arrive when I finish it. I'm busy with other things today, so I might not get to it. My epoxy is being delivered today, so I can glue things to the top.

i guess you trying to make the uke look cool (which it does) but you are learning that there are reasons the uke is designed a certain way it may change the tone of the uke and for sure mess up the playability

for me i will not try anything like you on a nice uke..the Flukes are not cheap ukes? but thinning the bridge looks like the only thing you can do hope you can do your repair and not have any buzzing and get the right comfortable string height at the bridge

not sure why a zero fret would have anything to do with bridge height?

Last edited:
Top Bottom