Bumblebee BUS-23 Soprano - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Interesting that I don't see it mentioned anywhere that Flight is behind these ukes. I think it's a detriment to the brand. It would be nice to know that these are ukes from a reputable company. Maybe their idea is to avoid diminishing their main brand by marketing these beginner ukes aimed at younger players with a different brand name, but then again Flight themselves make similar low-end ukes already. A bit puzzling to me.

Most definteley IS Flight - They contacted me direct to book the review. Not sure of concern,. Maybe overalap with similar priced Flight Uke?

Another great review, Baz, it's so nice to have a new brand that I would actually buy for a child.
Red ukes may be a bit passe, but that green looks nice!

Thanks for this review (and all the others! Very helpful).

One thing that would help beginners like me is a mention of string width. I've been on the lookout for a good beginner's ukulele, after I found our Makala Waterman Soprano a bit lacking in space for my fat fingers. After looking for models with a wider nut, I found one - a Flight Tenor (38mm compared to 35mm) only to find that the strings are approx 1mm further apart than on the Waterman.

It'd be good to know also about the Concert model in this range. It seems like that could make a very good recommendation for a new (adult in particular) starter.

Do you mean string spacing? Because for some time now I always give that measurement. Or do you mean string gauge? That would be harder to be accurate with!

Do you mean string spacing? Because for some time now I always give that measurement. Or do you mean string gauge? That would be harder to be accurate with!
Thanks - I meant string spacing - I'm not sure how I missed it. :rolleyes: Apologies.

27mm does seem narrow. I just measured my Waterman Soprano(with its 35mm width nut) and its string spacing is 29mm from outside G string to outside A string, and 28mm from inside G to inside A.

I've seen much narrower - kind of average. Better than the narrow stuff, plus I do find the slightly shallower back of the necks also help with same thing for big hands - seems counter intuitive, but works for me.

I've seen much narrower - kind of average. Better than the narrow stuff, plus I do find the slightly shallower back of the necks also help with same thing for big hands - seems counter intuitive, but works for me.
Thanks - that's helpful. Can you think of any Concert ukuleles you've come across with above-average spacing in the same sort price bracket?

Top Bottom