What type/style clamps do you use when seating a ukulele bridge?

mandodiddle

Reaction score
I've been trying to come up with a better clamping system on tenor and soprano ukulele bridges.
What have you found to work good for you?
Thanks

I use 5 inch violin clamps. In a pinch you can use three luthiers clamps. One on the middle and two on the sides. Works fine. Don't over clamp and get a glue starved situation though or deform the top. Light to moderate pressure with TiteBond. There are classical guitar builders who just use light pressure (hold with fingers while staring out the window for awhile) with hide glue and swear by it. Never had the guts to do that. I do NOT want the bridge to give way. And then you can go the vacuum clamping route as detailed in another thread. Hey, it ain't rocket science here.

20200515_201814.jpg

There is a fitted caul inside the instrument retained by rare earth magnets, which I had removed when the photo was taken to improve access for cleaning up any glue squeezeout. The deep throat G clamps are from Axminster in the UK, though not sure they still stock them. The top caul has adjustable sections for the bridge wings and positively locates in the saddle slot.
Hope that's some help!

20200918_142349.jpg 20210628_092647.jpg

Here is more detail of what goes on inside - the cauls are designed to positively locate between the relevant braces (except sopranos) and the V shaped cutouts allow insertion through the soundhole. The face of the cauls is radiused to match the top and magnets can easily be swapped around . I also use the caul clamped in place after gluing the bridge to prevent drill break out when drilling the pin holes for a pinned bridge. The old holes are filled before using again to prevent the drill grabbing an old hole.

Last edited:
This is one of my favourites ..good for Tenors and Barras that my soprano clamp wont reach
bridge clamp.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_3665.jpg
Home made cam clamps tailor made for each size of instrument. They are so easy to make with offcuts and a piece of flat bar. This is a tenor guitar currently under construction
Miguel

Top Bottom