Cook Woods

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
I never know what's going on in this world but I did stumble across this. https://www.cookwoods.com/collections/ukuleles

Having not bought any wood for a long time from them I was shocked at the price:$200+ a set seems a bit steep to me so what are y'all paying for sets these days? Last lot I bought was guitar sides from Maderas Barber (the company teamed up with Taylor) in Spain. Managed to get decent rosewood sets for $55 after shipping and taxes. Having just checked their site, they are still selling for a good price the more exotic rosewoods like cocobolo and an acoustic guitar side set in Ziricote is around $100..... I also note they have a mill in Canada as well as and office in China.

Last edited:
Pete- Your age is showing! You and I have lived hrough a time in history when woods of the world, in fact almost all natural materials, have been more available and cheaper than they ever have been or will be again. For the last 40 years I have been able to source nice koa for my use, but forest access is pretty limited now that koa is the same as, or maybe not as cheap as gold. Too bad, because I had a lot of realy great times behind a chain saw! I have managed to change to other local woods and still have customers who want the instruments. I no longer use any ebony, rosewood, or other imported species other than spruce or redwood, and that seems to be working too. The price of ukes, like that of wood, is pretty out to lunch these days. Astonishing really. Maybe if I was working at a higher $ level, my customers would ask for those exotics, but I'm not really interested in that.

A comment made by a member of the Kauai uke builders group was, he was tired of building for $5 an hour. And the immediate response from the group was, you make that much? As all my Oregon myrtle is currently in Cannon Beach, and I am on Kauai, I have recently bought some myrtle from Cook Woods. I have done business with them for a number of years, and always have been satisfied with the products. I do however, buy in billet form for resawing, which aids considerably in reducing the cost. They are very good at supplying quarter sawn billets, that are well described and pictured, so you know what you are getting.
Brad

Brad has it quite right. Their sets tend to be unusually and sometimes inexplicably costly but if you keep your eyes peeled, there are occasionally pretty decent deals on really nice boards. The warehouse is about an hour from me and I've been there a few times but I've found that they tend to post some of the really good stuff so watching the web site is worth while. Get on their email list to get a shot at the best pieces.

Wood is expensive and hey Bob, don't forget I've visited your workshop and seen stuff no one will ever see.... glad you are still building FT. I'm retiring in December. With my PD, 'the thrill' has gone. Just clearing ym books now and converting the workshops into teaching rooms. I think I'll be a way better teacher than builder.

Top Bottom