Buying and Keeping Strings

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I put strings on a tenor Fluke I've been working on, but all I had were sets with a low-G. I didn't like the sound, so I had to order a couple of sets with high-G. I always order from one of the online string sellers - Strings by Mail, Strings and Beyond, or Sweetwater. Amazon charges much more, and I'd rather support ukulele people.

I must have a couple of dozen sets of strings, but not one with high-G for a tenor. I'll have to take inventory and get organized. I have lots of bare naked strings that I removed from something. I coil them and label them with blue tape. Since I don't know what brand they are, I don't want to use them. It's time to get organized!

Try a concert re-entrant set..............which is what I use on tenors. Less tension.

I think many people have extra/used string lying around. I'm a bit surprise there is not a string exchange thread here. For example, it could start with Person A posting "I have a lightly used set of X, looking to try a set of Y." Person B responds to person A, and they work out a trade. Or it could be, "I have a free set of used X, yours for the cost of a postage stamp." All based on trust, but it works well on at least one other board, for items like watch straps.

Try uke logic pink Sandia super carbons. I love these strings (currently using high G set) and I'm going to buy a low G set for my other tenor.

Since I don't know what brand they are, I don't want to use them. It's time to get organized!

I would just try one and see how they work. If they are different brands I don't think they will fight.

Didn't Dirk at Southcoast make sets that were mixed to balance tone and tension?

There is no room for fighting in the ukulele world. :)

oh there's fighting, it's just nobody talks about it.
fposter,small,wall_texture,product,750x1000.u1.jpg

There is no room for fighting in the ukulele world. :)

I agree.

Although there is room for "healthy discussions" on low vs high G, whether you need to know theory, what size is best......;)

After playing it a bit, I think I'll leave it as is.

Certainly, it was meant in jest. It does make me laugh to see the sometime heated discussions about various topics. It is nice that people are so passionate, but at the same time, whatever works and makes you happy should be the most important thing!

I confess, I just throw away old strings. I clip the excess when I put them on and I just don't think it worth my time to deal with the curled up ends from tie bridges or the wrapped ends from the tuner pegs. I do have some unused singles. But not many.

I confess, I just throw away old strings. I clip the excess when I put them on and I just don't think it worth my time to deal with the curled up ends from tie bridges or the wrapped ends from the tuner pegs. I do have some unused singles. But not many.

i agree with you when i started playing i kept old strings thinking i may use them again...never happened...lol
it was a waste of my time and energy

If I had more than one set of tenor strings, I would take the A string from one and use it in place of the low g string on another set...but I'm not normal. Also, I have plenty of used sets collecting dust for emergencies just like that.

I was tempted to do that, but the low-g set is for my aNueNue tenor - should it ever need strings. I hate to break up a set. ;)

There are too many brands and too many types. Just look at all the offerings from Aquila.

Top Bottom