Never too old? Hope not

Jim in Oregon

Reaction score
Greetings, everyone.

I just joined up after spending a few days messing with the uke my son bought 8-10 years ago.

After failing to distinguish myself at guitar, banjo or mandolin, I've decided this is my true (or at least new) calling at age 72.

I plan to do a lot of prowling around on this site over the next few days and weeks. Is there a category or sub-forum where people ask the usual "which one should I buy?" questions?

I'm playing a perfectly serviceable Kala KA-T, but am interested in moving up to at least a solid-top and maybe an all-solid wood. Thanks.

Jim

Thanks

Welcome, you're not too old. What's your budget on a new uke?

Thanks for the response. I'm comfortable in $200-$500 range. I know that solid anything doesn't come cheap.

Jim

Never too old, you are still young :)
You can ask "which one should I buy?" in the forum Uke Talk.
There are some good candidates within your budget. Pono, Kala, Ohana, and a lot of others.

Welcome aboard from one of the same age!

Hi Jim. Welcome to the UU Forum. I hope you are able to stay cooled off right now in Oregon. Those temps y'all are dealing with are unreal. When I was living in the Phoenix area they weren't unusual in the summer. But in Oregon? With the humidity? Egad!

A good place to start is Mims Ukuleles. She has a number of Ohana that would meet your budget and play very well. She also has some blems she sells for a discount. https://mimsukes.com/

It will give you a good baseline from which to search.

Welcome! I started playing at 60. You can do this.

No-no-no-no-no. I'm 72. May, '49. Been there...

I've never been so excited at learning something just for me. Hopefully, as a side "bennie" others will appreciate it, too:)

But if they don't, I certainly am enjoying it!

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for all the welcomes and greetings. I went to a local music shop today and had an interesting experience. The shop owner told me I was too advanced for any lessons they could offer (they're really beginner-oriented). This is after playing the uke for 3-4 days. I guess all the guitar/banjo/mando translates pretty well.

Anyhow, I'm more motivated than ever to keep moving into the uke unknown.

Jim

Welcome to UU, Jim!

Though you may be too advanced for the courses locally offered, you should be able to discover many playing styles, teachers, genres, songbooks, and instruments on YouTube and internet in general. Take a look at some of the sub forums to see if your questions have been asked before. If advise and recommendations are older, it's a good idea to start a new thread.

Hi Jim. Welcome to the UU Forum. I hope you are able to stay cooled off right now in Oregon. Those temps y'all are dealing with are unreal. When I was living in the Phoenix area they weren't unusual in the summer. But in Oregon? With the humidity? Egad!

Kenn2018 - Where in Phoenix did you live? As a child, 50 some years ago, I lived off the highway 99, between Phoenix and Talent. Waaaaayyyyy back when I-5 was being built. Before I5..

Welcome to UU, Jim!

Though you may be too advanced for the courses locally offered, you should be able to discover many playing styles, teachers, genres, songbooks, and instruments on YouTube and internet in general. Take a look at some of the sub forums to see if your questions have been asked before. If advise and recommendations are older, it's a good idea to start a new thread.

Thanks Ms Bean. I also have a trip to Hawaii planned in a few months, and we're staying just a few miles from a music store that gives lessons. That should be a treat.

It might also be a rude awakening when the teacher says "Quit doing all that guitar crap on your uke."

Jim

Thanks to everyone for all the welcomes and greetings. I went to a local music shop today and had an interesting experience. The shop owner told me I was too advanced for any lessons they could offer (they're really beginner-oriented). This is after playing the uke for 3-4 days. I guess all the guitar/banjo/mando translates pretty well.

Anyhow, I'm more motivated than ever to keep moving into the uke unknown.

Jim

Awesome! But, you may need to get a uke that doesn't melt. :music:

Top Bottom