"How to" YouTube recommendations and other tips for 1st stab at string chabfe?

Heady

Reaction score
"How to" YouTube recommendations and other tips for 1st stab at string chabfe?

I used to change viola strings on a whim - like changing salad dressing or something trivial.

For some reason changing mandolin strings overwhelmed me until I came across a great YouTube vid plus a tip involving hockey tape.

Now I love changing mando strings - it's like meditation.

I just got my own ukulele a few weeks ago so I'm golden there. My son has had a uke for YEARS (6 maybe?) still original strings but he hasn't always taken care of it so they're mangled. It's playable but I want to change his strings.

I listened to samples and got help here from Mossimo, and decided to order a set of Aquila Red and a Sugar set (high g soprano).

Before I attempt my first string change, what are your favorite tutorials and hacks?

Also I read about stretching and snapping reds. Should I try the Sugars first until I do a few changes, or does it not matter that much?

Thanks.

I've tried Aquilla Reds in the past. I didn't really like them never tried them again. I didn't have any problems with strings breaking, though. I've heard that was only in the first year or so of production and these have been around for several now.

Regarding tips, my advise is to tie your knots tight and wind the string tightly around the tuning posts. 3 or 4 winds around the tuning posts is plenty. If you minimize slack in the strings when you install them, they will settle in much more quickly. Most of the so-called "new string stretching" problems that people complain about is really just sloppy installation.

Another tip is to find a closeup video of someone installing strings on an ukulele with the same type of bridge and same type of tuning pegs as your instrument. Ukuleles have lots of different setups that require different techniques for installing strings. The Ukulele Underground YouTube channel has lots of great tutorial videos.

Attach to the bridge first, then feed the string through the tuner, all the way, then re thread it through the tuner again, then tighten up to bring it into tune - coil the excess, & wrap the end through & around the coil - why? - because if you break a string, it can be unwound & re tied, usually. ;)

Joel from HMS' TheUkuleleSite.com did a YouTube video a few years ago that showed how to change strings on four different types of bridges.

MyaMoe used to have videos up showing how to string a standard PegHed tuner and a Slotted headstock. The PegHed is strung just like an open gear or friction tuner. The only difference is how the string is tightened.

You won't get much slippage with the Aquila strings, but some very thin (High-g & A) fluorocarbon string knots can slip a bit as they come under full tension. I generally leave an inch or more on the tail for a day or two in case some do pull through.

Baz (Barry Maz) gotaukulele.com has a couple of videos on his website about restringing ukes.

It helps to have a pitch tone for GCEA so you don't over-tighten the strings and break them. (Don't ask how I know.)

Some strings settle down in a day or two. Some take a week or more to hold tune for more than an hour or two.

You can do it. Once you've done it, it's much easier the second time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom