anyone know the brand of strings Kamaka is putting on current ukes?

darylcrisp

Reaction score
i recently have a new HF3 tenor(love it), and i broke a string. all the strings are black nylon appearing. i looked all over the internet trying to find out what brand these are but no luck. appears that Kamaka sells strings branded with the Kamaka name, but were out of stock for tenor size.

these strings sound great on this Uke and i want to keep them on it. a decade or more ago i played and owned a few Ukes and i remember using Worth browns, Daniel Ho PHD(liked a lot), and Oasis was just putting together Uke string sets(i participated in a program that they sent mult size strings to you and you decided what you liked best).

I did order some Pepe Romero Strings UT1 Tenor Ukulele High G Set , and a warm and a bright set of Oasis Carbon.

anyone lead me to a dealer or website that sells the Kamaka brand i would appreciate it.

thank you
d

I went on the Kamaka factory tour a couple of years ago and they said they buy the strings in bulk from D'Addario. I don't know if they are exactly the same gauge and tension as the D'Addario black nylon ukulele strings, but if you can't find the genuine Kamaka strings, D'Addario should be pretty close.

I went on the Kamaka factory tour a couple of years ago and they said they buy the strings in bulk from D'Addario. I don't know if they are exactly the same gauge and tension as the D'Addario black nylon ukulele strings, but if you can't find the genuine Kamaka strings, D'Addario should be pretty close.

They may be the same material but I am curious about specific gauges they are using. Specifically, d'addario does not offer six or eight string nylon sets, so these would need to be custom sets assembled for Kamaka.

i recently have a new HF3 tenor(love it), and i broke a string. all the strings are black nylon appearing. i looked all over the internet trying to find out what brand these are but no luck. appears that Kamaka sells strings branded with the Kamaka name, but were out of stock for tenor size.

these strings sound great on this Uke and i want to keep them on it. a decade or more ago i played and owned a few Ukes and i remember using Worth browns, Daniel Ho PHD(liked a lot), and Oasis was just putting together Uke string sets(i participated in a program that they sent mult size strings to you and you decided what you liked best).

I did order some Pepe Romero Strings UT1 Tenor Ukulele High G Set , and a warm and a bright set of Oasis Carbon.

anyone lead me to a dealer or website that sells the Kamaka brand i would appreciate it.
thank you
d

For me, I really like the high G PHd strings for my Kamaka HF-3. I

Kamaka strings are indeed very similar do D'addario black nylons. Wouldn't be surprised at all if they are the same. The gauges are mostly similar but on the D'Addario tenor set the C string is a metal would string making it slightly thinner than in the Kamaka set. Also the D'Addario concert set has also thinner strings than the Kamaka equivalent for some reason.

The D’addario EJ65T set is very close to the Kamaka strings. Check them out.

thanks so much everybody.
i haven't been on here in years, i was crazy busy years ago and sold my uke's and just recently the music has hit me again and this time its perfect timing.

in Dec 2020 i had to move from Va to Ky to live with and help my 90 yr old parents. i have my acoustic and electric guitars, mandolins, dobros, weissenborns, lap dulcimers, but i needed something more "quiet" and calming. i knew immediately what was in order.

it took me 3 months to dig in and research what to find. due to the pandemic most shops are well sold out of what i had in mind. in the past i had a nice slothead kanilea, 2 nice breedloves when Kim was still there, and the last to go was a Blackbird ekoa Martha(was that the name? seems like it was a female name).

i'm a one man show here, 24/7, cooking, cleaning, bathing, medical, indoor and outdoor upkeep, rarely a free moment. i knew i wanted all wood, so i received an email from Gryphons one day a month ago and they showcased two Kamaka HF3 tenors. i called my go to man there and he said,"yep, both are awesome, one is especially just really warm and resonant and stays in tune for days". got it. its amazing in its sound, touch, looks. i've never owned a Kamaka, blown away with this one! best uke i've had in my hands.

i got around to adjusting the action height the other night, took off just a touch on the saddle, and on the final tune up the A. Gryphons had put in a free set of Aquila new nylgut in low G(in case i wanted that tuning). i pulled the a from it. that was 2 days ago and its still stretching. Man, there's a lot of difference in the tonal texture and feel between the black nylon and the white nylgut.

a favored brand of strings i had settled on years ago were the Daniel Ho PHD, they just seemed to sound very nice and the tactile feel was there.

one day soon i'll take some pics and show a NUD, this one is a very nice warm looking uke, and feels just right.

so lots to catch up on, but this uke fit the role perfect.

thanks everybody for the fast and spot on info. this forum was always a top quality place to spend time, looking forward to being around again.

d

Top Bottom