Shank Harrison signatrure tenor ukulele,

This happens way too often for me. I do a nice post of a few well thought out paragraphs and bam….only a few words get posted. It’s getting old…..

So, anybody get to try one. Mi like Beatle, George, Dhani but..looks like Fender cash in. Same old same old. I do like Dhani’s design sensibilities……but Fender could do so much more. Nuff said……I hope this last post in it entirety!

Thread title should say Dhani Harrison Signature ukulele.. LOL either bad spell check or my iPad keyboard work was really bad and I was tired.

Before I click “post,” I highlight all and copy just in case. I get bitten by this way too often to click post without being cautious beforehand.

To me, I expect Fender ukuleles to be WAY higher in quality than they are. They’ve got the resources to do some amazing things and the distribution and name recognition to offer a wider range of quality at prices that would probably be able to surpass just about any competition and yet… it’s like they’re just happy to say they offer ukuleles period. It feels like their priorities lie elsewhere and they’re pandering to an assumed fad to pad numbers until the next trend happens (that I’m sure they’re setting up chanting circles at Fender HQ and begging to be the guitar again).

To me, I expect Fender ukuleles to be WAY higher in quality than they are. They’ve got the resources to do some amazing things and the distribution and name recognition to offer a wider range of quality at prices that would probably be able to surpass just about any competition and yet… it’s like they’re just happy to say they offer ukuleles period. It feels like their priorities lie elsewhere and they’re pandering to an assumed fad to pad numbers until the next trend happens (that I’m sure they’re setting up chanting circles at Fender HQ and begging to be the guitar again).

I don't know. Maybe if they were making a solid-body electric uke, they could make something great. Fender's not exactly known for their acoustic instruments. Also, it might not look like it on these forums, but most ukulele players/enthusiasts seem to be playing less expensive instruments. I see a lot of people playing on Makalas, Lunas, and the like, or something even cheaper from Amazon.

Like you, I also wish there were better offerings from guitar makers. Better stuff from companies like Gretsch or Breedlove. I wish Martin would fix up their line a little bit. I wish others like Gibson and Taylor would start making some. And companies like Larrivee and Collings would return to uke-building. But realistically, there doesn't seem to be enough demand. Fender, Gretsch, and Breedlove are making lower end ukes because that's probably what sells best.

The greatest demand for higher end ukes is probably Hawaiian-made stuff, and then less demand for higher end production ukes outside of Hawaii. Most people just want something cheap and fun, I think. Actually, I'd probably be embarrassed to tell friends how much I've paid for some of my ukes. People have no idea how much they can cost. Although I guess that's kind of true of many hobbies.

Visually, it's appealing. I do like the top's blue hue and the thin profile, but that's about all.

They really don't feature the sound it produces (that may say it all), other than the bit at the end. It has a rather thin tone with little resonance or sustain. For all Dhani's talk about ukes historically delivering happiness, this one sounds a little depressed. No happy jangle of a good high G uke.

Should bring more to the party for $400-ish, cuz at that price point (and less) the competition is delivering wonderful sound.

Bluesy.

From what I’ve seen, Fender offerings are OK but overpriced. Much better ukes are available for the $$, but shoppers may not be aware of the brand names and just go with “Fender.” Gibson is selling some rebranded Asian models that are less expensive. They seem to do SOME quality control before shipping. I guess I’d recommend them if someone insisted on buying a familiar name and not spend much cash.

Visually, it's appealing. I do like the top's blue hue and the thin profile, but that's about all.

They really don't feature the sound it produces (that may say it all), other than the bit at the end. It has a rather thin tone with little resonance or sustain. For all Dhani's talk about ukes historically delivering happiness, this one sounds a little depressed. No happy jangle of a good high G uke.

Should bring more to the party for $400-ish, cuz at that price point (and less) the competition is delivering wonderful sound.

Bluesy.

Agree about the value. Also, as Baz has pointed out, Fender insists on using those guitar tuners, which are way too big and heavy for a linear uke headstock.

I’ve wondered in past if truncated post were due to my iPad yet a few years go I had no issues.

Agreed on Fender could do much more with Name, distribution etc. They have everything in place but “the will” to make a really good Uke. So, I would agree that they just pick their spots to say they re in Ukuleles. If Pono can make a really nice $399 all sold tenor that plays great (I’m an AT owner to half a dozen years and would never sell that Uke) then Fender could do it!

Totally agree with the four in line…..guitar tuners. They are way to heavy……that point out exactly what I mean.

Anyways, I would like to play just to confirm…………what I’m already thinking.

I enjoyed the video featuring Dhani. And boy, is he his father's son! The tone of the uke underwhelms me though. As a uke fan and player himself, I would have hoped for a better sounding signature uke. I do hate that Fender headstock on a uke.

I like the blue color, but am not impressed with the sound for the price. But I can see it selling well.
Does the dog come with the ukulele? Nice dog.

The tone of the uke underwhelms me though. As a uke fan and player himself, I would have hoped for a better sounding signature uke. I do hate that Fender headstock on a uke.

If the Harrison name wasn't associated with it, I wouldn't give it a second look.

I don't know. Maybe if they were making a solid-body electric uke, they could make something great. Fender's not exactly known for their acoustic instruments. Also, it might not look like it on these forums, but most ukulele players/enthusiasts seem to be playing less expensive instruments. I see a lot of people playing on Makalas, Lunas, and the like, or something even cheaper from Amazon.

Like you, I also wish there were better offerings from guitar makers. Better stuff from companies like Gretsch or Breedlove. I wish Martin would fix up their line a little bit. I wish others like Gibson and Taylor would start making some. And companies like Larrivee and Collings would return to uke-building. But realistically, there doesn't seem to be enough demand. Fender, Gretsch, and Breedlove are making lower end ukes because that's probably what sells best.

The greatest demand for higher end ukes is probably Hawaiian-made stuff, and then less demand for higher end production ukes outside of Hawaii. Most people just want something cheap and fun, I think. Actually, I'd probably be embarrassed to tell friends how much I've paid for some of my ukes. People have no idea how much they can cost. Although I guess that's kind of true of many hobbies.

Not trying to divert the direction of the thread, but why is it conventional wisdom that Collings doesn't make ukuleles anymore? The stopped for a while after Bill Collings passed away, but resumed a few years ago, as guitar sales slumped. The ukuleles are on the Collings website, and several of their dealers list 2021 & 2019 ukes. Don't know if they made any in 2020.

My first uke was a Fender Nohea. Out of the hundreds (seemed like) tenor ukuleles listed on Amazon, I was attracted to the Fender the most. It was koa (later realized it was all laminate), It had the very cool and different Fender headstock that stood out from the others, and it was a Fender. One of the few names I was familiar with. Way over built. Only okay laminate sound. They later introduced a solid wood top. Extremely high strings at both the nut and the saddle. Not a bad starter uke. But know I know for $250 USD there were better tenors to be had.

I think many guitar manufacturers make mini guitars rather than designed from scratch ukuleles. Martin and Collings show what can be done by the big companies. Romero & LoPrinsi and I'm sure others I have forgotten, by the smaller shops.

Not trying to divert the direction of the thread, but why is it conventional wisdom that Collings doesn't make ukuleles anymore? The stopped for a while after Bill Collings passed away, but resumed a few years ago, as guitar sales slumped. The ukuleles are on the Collings website, and several of their dealers list 2021 & 2019 ukes. Don't know if they made any in 2020.

Perhaps I'm mistaken? I've heard it often here on UU that Collings weren't making them any more. At least for the time being. And I don't recall which store it was, but I remember seeing it on a retailer listing for a Collings uke, that these were the last few as they had stopped making them. I don't want to spread false rumors; I just thought it had become common knowledge.

It seems to fit with some trends. I know Larrivee has stopped for the time being. I know Breedlove made some higher end American-made models, but ended up settling for cheaper imports some years ago. Gretsch and Alvarez make em cheaper still. Taylor and Santa Cruz made some very limited runs. My guess is, considering the amount of work that goes into quality uke building, it's generally less profitable than making guitars. I don't know.

And it's tough to say because the pandemic threw a wrench in things, but it seems like we're at the tail end of last decade's ukulele boom. Or if not the tail end, it seems like the popularity had been waning a bit before the pandemic.

But it would be great if more guitar makers made ukes. Like you, one of my earliest ukes was from a guitar maker, Breedlove. Also a unique and (I think) attractive headstock. Also a bit overbuilt, though Breedlove seems to have had more actual experience with making "real" ukuleles. Solid top, but laminate sides and back. Set up wasn't bad. Somehow found one new for half price. I still have it, and I think they're hard to beat if you can find one for under $200. They make excellent "beater" ukes for when you want something not made of plastic and better than a typical Amazon find.

Anyway, I think Fender makes great electrics. I'm less impressed with their acoustic stuff, including their ukes. I'm sure they'll sell well, though.

Top Bottom