Season 491 - Absolute Rubbish

a homemade-y

are you experiencing a problem with disappearing comments? :mad:
is youtube throwing comments in the bin? :confused:

Hi guys!

Great start to the week! Already got 4 originals, three of which came from Pa, got Garbage, got poetry, got metaphors, the works!

Playlist should be up to date and commented on, let me know if I've left you off.

Should note that debris, waste, shrapnel, flotsam, jetsam, any sort of sam, all welcome this week!

waste management and recycling are all political problems.
a few years ago in the Ukraine they had the trash can challenge
where corrupt politicians were dumped in the trash cans.
it's a mad world.

I think I first heard this on a Norma Waterson album, but Nina Simone's version is probably more well known.

(and YouTube may or may not have given me a blank thumbnail, depending on the day of the week)

The discarded homeless who become almost Invisible and faceless in bigger cities and towns amongst the hustle and bustle. They all come from somewhere, they all have faces and they all have a story to tell.

(and YouTube may or may not have given me a blank thumbnail, depending on the day of the week)

how can something that was working so well start working so badly - improvements i guess???

i have found i usually have to add my own thumbnails now.....

and comments appear in my notifications but when i go to the video they are not there....

good old improvements

Ay up, Ryan!

Cheers for hosting! Here's a Stranglers song about chucking stuff away for the season.
My good friend Paul joins me on lead vocal for this one while I clumsily and unsuccessfully try to emulate the late, great Dave Greenfield on melodica.

The discarded homeless who become almost Invisible and faceless in bigger cities and towns amongst the hustle and bustle. They all come from somewhere, they all have faces and they all have a story to tell.

Hey Mythinformed, I have played with that guy over your left shoulder. Al Kirby and I had him sit in for a set when we played at the Greenbank Folk Club.
jim,al,elvis.jpg

SOTU 490 - "Who's Going To Take The Garbage Out?'' - Loretta Lynn and Earnest Tubb duet from 1969. Also recorded by John Prine and Iris Dement in 2016. Liz Brinker recruited me for this and it was a lot of fun as usual. Thanks again to her. Enjoyed playing a bit of guitar - it's a Simon and Patrick Woodland Pro Folk.

A song based on the death of Claire Campbell in Sydney Australia. Old people left alone with no one to care for them. Discarded and left to die. Sad song by Eric Bogle

Baby Don't You Break My Little Heart - K. Bruce McGregor (AKA Magoo)

Magoo with doll.jpg

Since I've seen Magoo shopping a few times in "The Interesting Music Shoppe" in Wilfred, Ontario (Wilfred is a hamlet between Cannington and Pefferlaw), I assume he lives in the Wilfred area.

Interesting Music Shoppe.jpg

He is a wonderful entertainer who serves as the MC at many Southern Ontario festivals.

My apologies; I was determined to say, "Baby, don't you..." but ended up saying, "Honey don't you..." most of the time. I guess I should always have a lyric sheet in front of me.
The garbage man is mentioned and I figure kitty litter qualifies as well.

Last edited:
And the show goes on!

This song is a must for this week, and Liz was so kind to do sing one of the parts :)

WE'RE BACK!!! (I sent an email to Ryan on the Forum - and I know I wasn't the first - but someone called Kahai replied and said thanks for telling them. Maybe they hadn't even realised.) Anyway, to celebrate, here's one I did earlier; it's about a discarded person who comes up trumps in the end.

Whew! So happy the forum is back up! I’m an addict, I admit it. Here is one from Lucinda Williams from her 2008 album, Little Honey. My friends Michael August is on slide and my friend Martin Hoffman is on U-bass. Listen for the word “trash” at 2:20.

Well Well Well
Lucinda Williams

AND WE'RE BACK!

Playlist is up to date again, thank you to everyone who's brought a song this morning. Hoping we can get a few more before Val's week kicks off tomorrow.

Top Bottom