What tools are in your toolbox to help practicing? Software and hardware

wqking

Reaction score
What tools (either software or hardware) do you use to help practicing Ukulele?

Here is a list of my tools

* Computer or mobile phone -- read the scores. I put all scores in a single PDF to view on the computer or phone. I have a music stand, but I rarely use it because I don't have a printer to print the PDF.

* Metronome

* Tuner

* Microphone and recording software -- for practicing purpose

* Trello -- manage my practicing plan, documents, etc.

* Click counter -- counting the times I've practiced. Today I found I have the need for such a little tool. I setup a goal to do a practice 10 times, memorizing how may times I've played is quite distractive, so I think I need a tool to do the counting. I still need more time to see if it's really helpful. I think I may also need a timer/clocking tool in the future, not sure for now.

How about you?

I write my arrangements on my iPad and record myself practicing to try to get good takes where things are clean. I almost never get it and I usually delete the video, but I found that recording myself keeps me on topic instead of drifting to pieces that are more familiar for ego boosts or something.

That’s about it for practicing!

Weird timing. I published a podcast today about this exact thing: https://liveukulele.com/podcast/s2e13/. Lots of similarities, but an additional software one (pitch/tempo shifter app) that's not here yet.

I just placed an order for a mechanical click counter, I think it will be fun to have such a little widget. :)

I just have my tuner, a leather pick, and a glass of dark rum on the "rocks". I also have some harmonicas and a holder for playing them together.

A small electronic tuner and a tuning fork. What else do you need for simple pleasures?????

I've not really practiced on the uke in a long time. These days, I've been doing the bare minimum practice where I only need my uke. I'd tune it by ear, tap my foot for tempo, and do chord progressions that I find difficult (usually from a song I'm learning ATM).

When I want to practice for real (as in seriously wanting to improve I playing), I only need my laptop with the uke. The laptop runs eMedia Ukulele Method software (this is an excellent self-teach software; I love it even after more than a year. In fact, I'm still just 1/3 into its lessons but have already learned how to play all the songs I want to play... hence why I've not been using it). Each time I turn this program on, I learn something. It's got a built-in tuner, metronome, many popular songs, backing track, and adjustable tempo on all play-alongs.

I think I'll always be in the learning mode. There is one app I rely on the most. SmartChord.de OMG, you would not believe the number of tools it has. And these guys are dedicated. They continually add to and improve the app. You have to check it out.

Peterson SC-HD Clip-On StroboClip Tuner. IMO, the best clip-on tuner made. Strobe tuners are bloody accurate.

My main tool is my iphone with the following apps;

AnyTune Pro!

I use it to learn songs by looping certain sections/barres, and usually at 70-80 tempo depending on the song. I've learned so many finger style arrangements this way on guitar and ukulele I've surprised myself.......... The secret to practicing and learning is by chunking. Just tackle arrangements in chunks and with a bit of patience you have a whole song in your head. It's just that amazing how your mind works!!

On my music stand there are four things:

1. ceramic slide
2. snark tuner
3. little binder with scales and modes and chord voicings with the root on each string
4. Chord Wheel, which is a theory tool that I've had for more than a decade.

On my music stand there are four things:

1. ceramic slide
2. snark tuner
3. little binder with scales and modes and chord voicings with the root on each string
4. Chord Wheel, which is a theory tool that I've had for more than a decade.

Ripock, I had to look up "ceramic slide" I knew about glass, bottle and metal slides, but hadn't heard about ceramic ones. Very cool.

Top Bottom