Special Edition Fender

Jerryc41

Reaction score
George Harrison's son, Dhani, has a signature Fender uke coming out, $280 on pre-order. The picture below is from an article in the current Ukulele Magazine.

For those of you who don't know Adorama, it is a first class camera/electronics store. You can shop with confidence. Of course, lots of places will have that uke available.

https://www.adorama.com/fe097175219...ZEuY5XnmhoCzlQQAvD_BwE&utm_source=adl-gbase-p

Fender Harrison.jpg

Looks like a version of their Montecito, but with a different wood for the soundboard.
My experience with purchasing from Adorama, however - for a Uke, does not agree with, "shop with confidence."

I bought my Montecito from Adorama a few years ago, and it was drop shipped from Fender. All kinds of problems. Loose bridge, nut was too shallow for the A string, which kept popping out, in real need of a fret dressing ( 6 frets were high on different strings and it buzzed, even when strummed open), and intonation was over 10c sharp from the second fret upward.

I've purchased camera equipment from Adorama (and B&H) for over 30 years. Adorama-for this purchase- was absolutely no help. They wouldn't pay for return shipping (claiming they had no resources to "make repairs") and made note they had drop shipped from Fender, recommending I contact them for warranty services. (BTW-there was nothing in their online warranty descriptions that conveyed this drop ship exception nuance.)

So basically they bailed on a long term customer. Fender had me take the uke to Guitar Center for

Looks like a version of their Montecito, but with a different wood for the soundboard.
My experience with purchasing from Adorama, however - for a Uke, does not agree with, "shop with confidence."

I bought my Montecito from Adorama a few years ago, and it was drop shipped from Fender. All kinds of problems. Loose bridge, nut was too shallow for the A string, which kept popping out, in real need of a fret dressing ( 6 frets were high on different strings and it buzzed, even when strummed open), and intonation was over 10c sharp from the second fret upward.

I've purchased camera equipment from Adorama (and B&H) for over 30 years. Adorama-for this purchase- was absolutely no help. They wouldn't pay for return shipping (claiming they had no resources to "make repairs") and made note they had drop shipped from Fender, recommending I contact them for warranty services. (BTW-there was nothing in their online warranty descriptions that conveyed this drop ship exception nuance.)

So basically they bailed on a long term customer. Fender had me take the uke to Guitar Center for

Shame on Fender. They are ruining their reputation as a guitar maker with their ridiculous sub par ukuleles (no criticism of you intended, you should not have to put up with this). I can hardly believe that George Harrison's son endorsed them. They're doing themselves and their customers a big disservice, IMHO.

I can't say that I've had a lot of exposure to Fender ukes having only played what was offered at Guitar Center and another place that was selling them but I was very underwhelmed by what I was able to try out. I attended a uke gathering where one of the attendees played a Fender and I didn't care for the sound at all. The vibe I got was that it was a half-hearted effort they put out just to have a foot in the ukulele market. Maybe their more expensive ones are better, I don't know. I'm not really a fan of the look of that headstock on a uke either.

Last edited:
I have a friend who's an accomplished guitar player, mainly electric guitars. He knows I'm into ukuleles, but he doesn't really care for or know much about them. He was at NAMM and sent me a picture of a Fender uke, and said I should get one to be cool. He was joking, but I think he really thought the Fender ukes were better because of their brand/image. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they sell well because of those kinds of perceptions.

The Dhani model seems to be sold out in Australia. There is also a Dhani guitar.

I can recall when Martin started making ukes again, the social media of the time was awash with similar comments. Find the dates and look at the FMM board for some examples.

I can recall when Collings made some ukes, the social media was awash with similar comments. Some idiots even virtually gave away their Collings ukes and made some silly comments. You can still find the comments on UU.

Fender is making a dent in the market. I suggest you sit and watch and see what happens if you do not want to look like an idiot by making a silly comment.

If you get one and don't like it, don't just give it away immediately, just hold it for a while until the new stock runs out and then see what the re-sale market is like.

There is no way of predicting the long term future. But to date they seem to be selling well and filling a space in the market. Not many UU members are in that market space at the moment.

Do you think one of these make a good investment?

George will be turning in his urn.

Investment value depends on how many get into circulation. But having Dhani Harrison and Fender name on the same product may be a good start.

It is not in the same market space as solid koa, made in Hawaii ukes, or similar models.

I have not seen one in real life, the shops here are showing that it is sold out already. But looking at the advertising material and videos, it looks like a model which would suit ukulele players that like to play loud into amps in public spaces. Like a workhorse for a person who makes a living playing. If that turns out to be the case in reality, I compare them with a guitar model, the mini-Maton in Australia, which is very much in demand and is hard to get a used one, the factory output has been constrained by lockdowns, and they are selling for not much below original purchase price. We need to wait and see before getting too excited.

If it turns out to have on-going popularity, IE the people who have bought them love them and wont let them go easily, they are popular with bands and performers, there could be strong demand for used items when the new stocks run out. So I am suggesting that if you get one and find it to be not for you, that you do not just do a dummy spit and turn it over straight away. I am suggesting that you wait until the new stocks run out and then look at the re-sale, there is a chance that you may not lose much of the purchase price if you are patient. I do not think it will be a long wait.

I am not sure about buying one just to be a collectible. I would suggest that you buy it because you want to play it loud in a public space, try it in a shop if you can, don't just buy it to put into a collection. If it turns into a collectible, some cool looking beausage from some serious playing may not do it any harm.

If you do not want to play it loud in a public space, maybe you should just stick to the cheaper favourites on Amazon you like so much and save your money.

So despite the Harrison/fender names, under the paint these are comparable to Amazon ukes? I think I will pass...

Up next, Sean Lennon endorses a Rickenbacker 325 styled uke, followed by James McCartney with a Hofner styled bass uke.

Vintage

Up next, Sean Lennon endorses a Rickenbacker 325 styled uke, followed by James McCartney with a Hofner styled bass uke.

Vintage

Hadean makes a Hofner style Ubass, just needs an endorsement from Paul!

It is interesting to compare the level of interest in the Fender with the level of interest in Hricane uke recently reviewed on another page. Why do you feel a need to comment on one but not the other?

Another one of life's mysteries.

Shame on Fender. They are ruining their reputation as a guitar maker with their ridiculous sub par ukuleles (no criticism of you intended, you should not have to put up with this). I can hardly believe that George Harrison's son endorsed them. They're doing themselves and their customers a big disservice, IMHO.

Thanks for your comment. I was hesitant to reply as it threatened a thread hyjack :) but the claim that Adorama was a safe choice needed to be compromised! As I looked back, this was my second uke purchase -about 3 years ago (at the very beginning of UAS). I had failed on my original purchase of a soprano (quality fine, but -as with many- I found the neck and string spacing wasn't working). With the Fender "name", a tenor scale, and a vendor that I had a history of quality purchases, it seemed like a good plan. This was all before discovering this forum and information sources such as Baz :) I recently gifted the Montecito to my grandson's piano teacher and he's over-the-top with his new musical adventure. Celebrity endorsements seem to be the only way that 'transitioning' makers can gain any traction in a crowded market. Very sad that someone like Dhani sold his family name.

Not a surprise, predictable response. Many UU members will pass because they don't play into an amplifier turned up loud. They enjoy unplugged ukes in much the same way as Dhani's father did.

The Fender ukes are made in a factory in Indonesia. Some of the Amazon ukes will be made in the same factory, or another factory in Asia. Its just a lower cost uke, if you like it you could buy it. If you don't like it, why would you buy it or even comment?

It is interesting to compare the level of interest in the Fender with the level of interest in Hricane uke recently reviewed on another page. Why do you feel a need to comment on one but not the other?

I don't feel the need to comment on every thread (esp if the first impression is negative), but I will comment on those I find interesting.
Hricane?! yuk!!! There ya go!

The Fender ukes are made in a factory in Indonesia. Some of the Amazon ukes will be made in the same factory, or another factory in Asia. Its just a lower cost uke, if you like it you could buy it. If you don't like it, why would you buy it or even comment?

FWIW, an ukulele that carries the moniker of "an Amazon uke..." is indistinguishable as such. The Fender ukes are sold through Amazon as well. The Montecito to which I earlier referred is sold on Amazon, so a distinction without a difference.... :)

Top Bottom