Harmonica kit...

rustydusty

Reaction score
Harmonica is my first instrument, and I thought I would share a picture of the kit I carry to gigs or practices with our band. The box is an old Bell telephone repair case that a retired repairman gave me. The harps cover any key in in first, second, or third position and are different types and brands. There are "diatonic, tremelos, octave harmonicas, and chromatics in the second layer. There are major, minor and flat keys. Also some with "Paddy Richter" tuning for Celtic stuff we do. In the bottom section I carry harp mics, guitar cords, strings, tuners, capos, and a shot glass for the occasional libations. I often play the harmonica in a holder with the baritone ukulele or guitar...20210706_143951.jpg

Looks like you are equipped for any occasion or music type. Thanks for sharing rustydusty.

I had no idea there were so many choices or a "kit" that you would bring for different situations.

CGEA is tough enough for me. I mean GCEA...

We do play quite a variety of music. At the core, we are a contemporary Christian band, but we also do "secular" gigs in clubs and at festivals. There we do classic rock, rockabilly and southern rock. Best guys and gals 20210216_152041.jpgI've played with in my 50 years of playing in bands that actually did gigs... Here we are playing a season opener at a yacht club.

Well yours certainly makes mine look small, but mine was made from a small parts container from Canadian Tire. It fits six 10-hole diatonics perfectly and fits in a guitar case. I keep my rack (an old Elton that I bought in the early sixties with added lock washers and the arms bent tohit my mouth at the right angle) in a canvas bag with my mics and patch cords.
harp box.jpg
Mine are mostly 10 hole diatonics, but I have one 12 hole Marine Band and another 14 hole Marine Band, both in C. The others are Special 20s, Marine Bands, Big Rivers and a few Lee Oskars. I only use the first two positions. My neighbour, Carlos, can play in 12 keys on the same 10 hole harp. I leave mine at home when I'm playing with him.

Last edited:
What you carry in your box will cover pretty much every blues, rock, and country song. Nice selection of keys.
I use an old Hohner holder that I modified with some stainless brackets for more adjustments. Funny how these holders are sold with a "one size fits all" theme. Every now and then I go on line looking for a new and better rack, and it's the same old crap...20210706_204415.jpg

Very nice. I carry a 7 slot case with a set of Lee Oscar Tomi harps. Tip for you Rusty, before you attach an image, hit a couple carriage returns so the image doesn't break up the paragraph. Like this:

Harmonica is my first instrument, and I thought I would share a picture of the kit I carry to gigs or practices with our band. The box is an old Bell telephone repair case that a retired repairman gave me. The harps cover any key in in first, second, or third position and are different types and brands. There are "diatonic, tremelos, octave harmonicas, and chromatics in the second layer. There are major, minor and flat keys. Also some with "Paddy Richter" tuning for Celtic stuff we do. In the bottom section I carry harp mics, guitar cords, strings, tuners, capos, and a shot glass for the occasional libations. I often play the harmonica in a holder with the baritone ukulele or guitar...

20210706_143951.jpg

Last edited:
A local busker, Claude, has taken an old mic stand, a chunkof plywood and an old Elton harp rack and cobbled them together for a rack that doesn't have to go around your neck.

Claude's harp rack.jpg

Slick catch and release system, but no more adjustable than any of the others. It needs to be at a right angle to work properly. Again, "one size fits all"...

My husband has an inexpensive harmonica that he bought to learn. Currently, I'm thinking about presenting him with a better (and pretty expensive) harmonica on his birthday. It will be in January, so I have time. I asked for additional projects at work to earn extra money (I'm currently working with the guys from https://writinguniverse.com/informative-essay-topics/ and it is great that they agreed to help). And having surfed the Internet, I found Blues Harmonica Set - 1847 NOBLE (set of 12). But I'm not sure as I'm clueless about this kind of instrument. The biggest set the better, or am I wrong? Or is it better to choose a set of 7, for example, and it will be enough?

Last edited:
Are you sure he wants to stay with diatonics(?), you can get a decent chromatic around the £150 mark, which will have all the notes & incidentals, (sharps/flats).

I'd ask him what interests him in his harmonica playing, that would then give you a better clue as to what to buy.
Also, I'd advise you to buy from a proper harmonica dealer when spending a decent amount of money.

Another option might be the Seydel Nonslider, it's a chromatic that can play like a diatonic with bends.

Is he trying to learn blues harp, or does he want to play melodies...
Lots of different types of harmonicas out there.
Eastop harmonicas give you a lot of bang for the buck, whether a diatonic (blues harmonica) or a tremolo (melody style harmonica).

Thanks for your replies and recommendations, guys! I'll try to find out more information before making the purchase :)

Just a little advice from an old man who has bought a lot of instruments in his time.

I would play the one that you have until you’ve gotten into harps a bit and know what you wanna play and how you like studying music. There’s lots of different harps and different ways to play ‘em out there.

I know that I’ve wasted a lot of time and money on stuff. I might have better,
more appropriate, stuff now if I had waited.

Top Bottom