New Onos

saltytri

Reaction score
Lately, I've been working out a new construction method. The description is a little too long to post here so I've put the details in my blog at:

http://onoukes.com/blog

Here are two instruments that are built with the new technique. The first is a Pheasant wood tenor that will soon be off to its new owner. The second is a 17" Claro walnut super concert that will shortly be available at The Ukulele Site.

51301455616_97e403a67a_c.jpg

51302167739_dcf355a720_c.jpg

51301642803_76c328861b_c.jpg

51301642738_4876964b46_c.jpg

That’s a great blog entry. I am very happy that you have embraced diverse ideas to push the boundaries of your builds and willingly share your thoughts and details with the world.

Last edited:
Really cool. I hope the new owners will post some reviews and sound samples. :cool:

The neighborhood cat and I really enjoyed learning about the architecture of your new builds ;), and the recent interview posted via the Ukulele Site was also eye opening about the use of laminates in custom ukuleles.

Thanks for a really interesting post. The instruments are so sleek and beautiful. Would love to hear their voices!

Bluesy.

There’s a lot of cat info in that blog, too!

Gorgeous instruments, David, I’d love to compare one to mine. Those ideas are ingenious. Thanks for sharing them with the world.

Teri

Thanks David, your blog posts are always interesting and informative, I appreciate the time you take to write them! Your care and craftsmanship are always evident in what you build (and then write and photograph.)

Really enjoyed your blog entries. My cat would have loved sticking his paws inside the sound holes to feel around and determine what was inside.

The Ken Timms' Slot Spacer is one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" tools that is simple and effective. I don't try to adjust the saddles or nuts on my ukes for the very reason you point out, they don't come out flat. For-to-aft nor side-to-side.

What are your thoughts on fret wire sizes? High vs medium vs short?

I'd love to hear the results of your new designs. Which are wonderful looking.

Really enjoyed your blog entries. My cat would have loved sticking his paws inside the sound holes to feel around and determine what was inside.

The Ken Timms' Slot Spacer is one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" tools that is simple and effective. I don't try to adjust the saddles or nuts on my ukes for the very reason you point out, they don't come out flat. For-to-aft nor side-to-side.

I'd love to hear the results of your new designs. Which are wonderful looking.
I am looking forward to the recordings from Theukulelesite! They are the best!

That claro walnut ukulele is beautiful. I can't wait to hear the Ukulele Site sound sample.

Hi David really like the look of the Clara Walnut uke....can you say what the tone sounds like on both ukes, seems like the one with no sound hole would be brighter but hopefully the soft top will help it be warmer

i will try and visit Andrew and see the walnut uke when it gets here..nice work my friend

Me too. I'm anxious to hear what the guys at The Ukulele Site think!

Hi Ken,

I've long since settled on Stew-Mac #147 which, as far as I know, is pretty commonly used on ukes. It's not the smallest wire but still towards the small end of the range. Most of my boards are radiused so the frets have to be pre-bent and #147 works well for that.

Hi David really like the look of the Clara Walnut uke....can you say what the tone sounds like on both ukes, seems like the one with no sound hole would be brighter but hopefully the soft top will help it be warmer

i will try and visit Andrew and see the walnut uke when it gets here..nice work my friend

Thanks, Len! I'll be very interested to know what you and the other guys on Cane St think. Neither one of these is unusually bright but that's expected because of the POC and WRC tops. One thing that I found interesting is that the concert sounds more like a tenor. This is likely due in part to the 17" scale but I'm speculating that it might also be due to the increased ability of the top to move air. That's good for someone who wants a smaller travel uke but with a bigger sound than a concert. Even with the 17 inch neck it fits nicely into an Oahu concert case so it's a little bit easier to carry around.

Wow! That's an incredible sounding ukulele. Really amazing.

Holey Moley! What an outstanding sound from that concert. Just astonishing. I had to look at the time code listing to make sure it was a concert and not a tenor.

…but not posted to the site. I wonder if someone claimed it after David’s blog post before Andrew even received it. I asked Kalei about it in the shop last Wednesday and he hadn’t seen it yet.

…but not posted to the site. I wonder if someone claimed it after David’s blog post before Andrew even received it. I asked Kalei about it in the shop last Wednesday and he hadn’t seen it yet.

I think Andrew said during the podcast that he was going to list the Ko olaus and Petros first and that the Ono and Pigeon tree would go up later. If someone does want it, I’d suggest calling because it sounded amazing and I’m sure it will sell quick (if it hasn’t already).

Thanks! I have to admit, I haven’t watched the whole episode yet - I was fast forwarding through to get to the Ono sound sample. So obviously I missed that!

Top Bottom