Kiwaya KTU-1 Tenor - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Too bad Kiwaya doesn't have a big USA distributor. I sometimes see individual US stores importing small batches of a few models, but their retail prices are 50% higher than in Japan.

It looks and sounds as though Kiwaya has another winner. I'm amazed at how cheaply they've done it. The build process or a laminate is the same cost as solid wood ukuleles! Just the wood is less expensive.
It's a little too bright for a tenor, but I bet slapping on a set of Worth Browns might calm it down.
What I don't like is the color of the neck and back of the headstock, it looks cheap.
Good review, Baz!

Barry, I always enjoy your reviews. I learn something with each review I read.

Could I ask what that cute jazzy little tune is that you play to demonstrate each uke? Such a happy song!

kathy

Barry, I always enjoy your reviews. I learn something with each review I read.

Could I ask what that cute jazzy little tune is that you play to demonstrate each uke? Such a happy song!

kathy

See link below the video!

Saw this one at World of Ukes, and when I heard Matt play it I thought these should fly off the shelves considering the prevalence of the tenor scale. It's not for me but I'm glad to see Kiwaya providing for people who prefer tenors. I've never seen a bad Kiwaya and I'd gladly own and play these Student series models.

Nice review. I agree, with very simple but quality build. I wish we had better access in Canada and USA. I don’t see USA dealer listing Student series. I’d definitely give one a try. Thanks for another good review Andrew bringing this option up!

Thank you! I always watch the videos embedded in your blog posts or on Reddit. I'll have to start watching them on their YouTube pages instead so I can see the comments. :eek:

k.

Ah yes - sorry - they don't appear in the embed - need to go onto YouTube - long been a gripe of mine with YT

Ah yes - sorry - they don't appear in the embed - need to go onto YouTube - long been a gripe of mine with YT

A bigger gripe these days IMO is that you frequently have to watch two commercials before your video starts and some of them are very long! Oh, well, I guess they have to make money somehow!

Thx again for the reviews and the tutorial on "Shimmy Like My Sister Kate".

k.

A bigger gripe these days IMO is that you frequently have to watch two commercials before your video starts and some of them are very long! Oh, well, I guess they have to make money somehow!

Thx again for the reviews and the tutorial on "Shimmy Like My Sister Kate".

k.

Whilst I have the channel set to monetise (I have to - I don't charge brands or shops for my reviews) - the video creator actually doesn't have control over that opening commercial. In fact even if I turn monetisation of you would STILL get the commercial - I just wouldn't take a share. Even I, who made the video, has to skip them if I want to review my OWN video... I think YT want people to pay for the Premium (whatever it's called) to remove all ads..

Blame YouTube, not me!

(p.s. I suppose their alternative would be to charge people to use their service to upload - which I couldn't justify and wouldn't do it.)

Whilst I have the channel set to monetise (I have to - I don't charge brands or shops for my reviews) - the video creator actually doesn't have control over that opening commercial. In fact even if I turn monetisation of you would STILL get the commercial - I just wouldn't take a share. Even I, who made the video, has to skip them if I want to review my OWN video... I think YT want people to pay for the Premium (whatever it's called) to remove all ads..

Blame YouTube, not me!

(p.s. I suppose their alternative would be to charge people to use their service to upload - which I couldn't justify and wouldn't do it.)

I didn't realize you could pay for YouTube access without commercials. I will look into it because I do find myself watching a lot of videos these days. Thanks for the tip!

k.

I didn't realize you could pay for YouTube access without commercials. I will look into it because I do find myself watching a lot of videos these days. Thanks for the tip!

k.

Yes, I think it is called Premium (may have to check that). In the UK it's about a tenner a month - and allows you to download videos for offline view.

Of course, if it's anything like the Spotify model - they will share those subs with creators - but only those creators with huge numbers will see anything viable in return. Which will make it pointless for the smaller creators like myself to use the platform.. but that's a whole other debate!

Last edited:

k.
I finally subscribed to that. I think it is ~$10-12/ month. As many youtube videos as I watch i is well worth it. I forget about it until I watch one not logged in and have to watch commercials. Then I am glad I did sign up for that.

Fernandez doesn’t list tenors online, and says he only sells concerts and sopranos. He does phone quotes for some models so you might try calling to see if he can get a tenor. But he doesn’t list any student/ made in china models and doubt he would ever order or sell any. These are available here and there online though.

Top Bottom