String suggestions for Pono MGT mango Tenor (base model).

E.Z.

Reaction score
I just purchased this tenor and it came with dead Aquila strings.
If anyone has some experience with these ukes, I would very much appreciate your input into what strings pair well with this model. Also, would you recommend a low G or high G?
Thank you in advance.

As far as I know, pono ukes arent super loud especially mango one, clear fluorocarb should add extra volume and ofc it sound good. there are many brands that produce FC strings, i like: worth, martin.

-"Also, would you recommend a low G or high G?"

there is no answer to this question, you can use both on ponos. for newbies the solution is: buy high/low g and test 'em.
this topic has been discussed 1000 times.
just type low g or high g on youtube.

Last edited:
I have a Pono MGT. I liked the sound better than the gloss MGTD or MGT-PC.
At present, I have Worth Brown High-g strings on it. Which accentuates the warm mellowness of the mango.
I had Low-G Living Waters on it for a while which I thought was a little "boomy" for the mango.
Prior to that I had some Martin 620 fluoros on it and I thought the sound was a bit harsh. But pretty loud.
I forget what strings came on it originally. I think they may have been High-g Ko'olau fluoros. Which I didn't like at all.

So it depends what sound you are looking for. Mango usually has a warmer sound to it compared to Koa or Mahogany. So you can brighten it up or mellow it down even more. A wound Low-G will increase the bass end. High-g more brightness. Oasis and D'Addario have bright or warm fluoro strings for tenors. If you want to do a direct comparison.
I'm not a fan of Nylon strings, so I can't comment on them.
Check out the Southern Ukulele site videos for some very good string comparison videos.

Top Bottom