My whole life has been a lie

ghostrdr

Reaction score
Well, not really, but I am really digging concert Martin Premium Polygut strings on my tenor scale Blackbird Farallon.

I even made it high G because I didn’t have an extra low g string.

maybe it was time to change the strings, maybe it is the lower tension, but the concert strings really added a lot of life, volume and sparkle to that instrument!

(Also really loved the indestructible richlite fretboard, took a little effort to get the finger oils and dirt off, but super spiffy and clean now which begs the question, on wood fretboards, do you all use wood soap to get the dirt and stuff off first? Before using the standard fretboard oil and cleaner?). I had massive finger marks that looked like divots.

Oh, one final thing… missed you all when the forum was down!

Experimenting with strings and even tuning (not low g vs high but tuning it one or more steps lower or higher) can be the best bang for the buck to make the sound from an instrument pop.
Using wood to make an instrument means that the stiffness and personality of each uke can vary and the uke might like higher or lower tension than what was put on it as default.
Congratulations on the discovery and experiencing a new uke all over again! I missed you’ll too!

Last edited:
Clickbait!!!

And it worked. :p

Haha. Well the truth is I’m such a rule follower that if it is a tenor instrument I buy tenor strings. I just noticed that ALL of my concert instruments seem easier to play and fret cleanly and somewhere in here, I remember reading about lower tension. I still can’t wrap my head around alternative tunings because my ear is just used to hearing a certain pitch.

Now I always use Concert strings on Tenor.
Most tenor strings feel too high-tension to be practical.

My go to strings are D'addario Pro-Arte Nylon concert (which is the same as D'addario pro-arte normal tension classical guitar sets) on tenors.

Top Bottom