aNueNue USA buying experiences?

Veritas99

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has bought directly from the guys at aNueNue USA. If so, how was the setup/playability? Do you know how it compares to setup from HMS? I know there's personnel overlap, but I'm not sure who is doing the setup at aNueNue USA.

I'm guessing they'd do a great job, but I'm more paranoid than usually because I just had a bad experience with a straight factory setup when I bought a Kamaka tenor from a dealer online. He clearly did nothing to set it up and the action was way too high. My local luthier was able to set it up when he installed a pickup, but he has a ~5 week wait to get on his bench so I'm trying to avoid that process again.

Thanks!

I would just contact them directly and ask. I would trust Corey and Kalei. And there is a good chance that aNueNue does excellent set ups from the factory, which apparently is part of their quality control (same reputation with Kiwaya).

My very limited experience suggests that aNueNue looks over each ukulele well-- for example, Corey noticed one of the strings on the AMM2 I was buying was a little 'off', and replaced it*-- but I don't believe there's a full set-up involved. I've often wondered if that affects my ambivalence towards my AMM2.

*I know this only because one of the strings on this slot-head ukulele was wound opposite from what it should have been, and tied in a different direction at the bridge, and I asked what was up. :D

The next time, i ordered an aNueNue through HMS to gain the full set-up experience, and because it was a great time to add other items not available through the aNueNue portal. HMS had (has?) better shipping rates, too, if that applies.

Anecdotal, all; @rainbow21 has the right idea: contact them.

~ S.

I purchased an aNueNue AMM3 in April of 2021. I bought it through HMS, how much involved aNueNue USA was involved, I really don't know. That said I requested the lowest possible action to help with my arthritic left hand. When the instrument arrived I was disappointed with the set up re: the action. I had to take the ukulele to a local luthier and he lowered the action considerably, I forget the exact number, but it was significant. As I said I don't know which vendor handled the set up, whether it was HMS or aNueNue USA, but it wasn't what I requested. I have purchased several ukuleles form HMS and their set up was spot on. The additional set up cost was negligible so it wasn't worth any further investigation on my part.

I think if you buy direct from Kala you get discounts compared to buying from dealer like 15 to 25% off advertised retail price. Do they have similar incentive for Anunue? Of course best deals are always buying in person when you can haggle and negotiate for lower price or accessories to be included. Though with some sites like eBay where you can make offer that works as well.

AnuenueUSA is best experience I've had buying instruments. So far I have acquired an acoustic koa bass, a nylon-string guitar and the ut200 ukulele, all of them are difficult to put down or choose which one to play. I feel like I now have a herd of ponies that I want to ride all at the same time. It's a truly fun problem to have, what the Lunachicks call a "Luxury Problem" in their awesomely bonkers song. The instrument set-ups were all perfect, the prices fair to friggin' great and Corey treated me like royalty--basically the same experience as I've always had with HMS. Yes, talk to them, they get customer service, will go above-and-beyond, and gave me great advice when I was not quite sure how to dial it in. I know there are other fine companies out there in the big-blue world but I can't imagine going anywhere else.

I have purchased directly from Kalei and Corey (anunueusa) and it was a great experience. I’m not quite sure if they did a full set up but they can if you ask them. My action was a little on the higher side but I know how to lower the action so it was no big deal to me. I would probably contact them prior to ordering and let them know what set up you need. Ie if you wanted the action to be lowered. I know they do work like that. I visited HMS a few months ago and Kalei was doing a setup for a customer that just came in. They are great guys and have awesome customer service.

How do you know if factory action is too high or too low on an instrument that you buy online? For most of my ukes the action was fine the way I received them, but for one after having it posted for sale for a while, I realized that action was too low and I had a friend cut a new saddle. Now it is my favourite uke. So it may take a while to find out if and what kind of set up is needed.

Last edited:
I feel like no matter what, the default set up is to be a little higher than lower. You can always make it lower, raising it is a touch more complicated ie shims or a new saddle.

No experience with Anuenue USA but having owned a Moonbird and now a M100 I'd say that the set up and craftsmanship is excellent and would recommend to anyone.

Re the pricing comment above, I don't believe they have any discounts, the set price for say the UT200 seems to be $1498 everywhere.

I feel like no matter what, the default set up is to be a little higher than lower. You can always make it lower, raising it is a touch more complicated ie shims or a new saddle.

No experience with Anuenue USA but having owned a Moonbird and now a M100 I'd say that the set up and craftsmanship is excellent and would recommend to anyone.

Re the pricing comment above, I don't believe they have any discounts, the set price for say the UT200 seems to be $1498 everywhere.
I agree about the setup, that is very wise advice. It's easy to assume lower is better but it can make it more complicated to adjust if it's overdone.

In regards to pricing, sorry I was so vague. The bass was 20% off at the time of purchase (on top of their standard "retail price" discount that they use as a marketing ploy) and if you buy multiple instruments they might work with you or at least give you some free upgrades/shipping or accessories. It never hurts to ask.

How do you know if factory action is too high or too low on an instrument that you buy online? For most of my ukes the action was fine the way I received them, but for one after having it posted for sale for a while, I realized that action was too low and I had a friend cut a new saddle. Now it is my favourite uke. So it may take a while to find out if and what kind of set up is needed.
Take a ruler or string action gauge and measure the action on a uke you have that is set up how you like so you can provide the shop with concrete numbers.

Top Bottom