Review: Caramel MS63 Quilted Maple (Blue) Soprano Ukulele

UkeStuff

Reaction score
This ukulele was on sale a couple of months ago, and is not currently available--but you never know what will be available as Caramel does mix production from time to time and global shipping remains completely in a mess.

The ukulele has a surprisingly warm tone for a soprano, and I'm not a fan of the non-gloss finish (which looks better in photos and on video than in person), and I also dislike the sticker as the brand label on the top (My Martin S1 also has a sticker, and I feel the same way about that sticker).

A number of players that complain about 35mm nut ukuleles might actually like this one, which has a wider nut and wider string spacing than many tenors that I have played.

At $49.99 (original price) this was (will be again?) a decent bargain, with a good kit.

Long format UkeGuide review below, plus the One Minute Ukulele Review. A summary document is always available at ukeguide.info or ukestuff.info.

UkeGuide Review: https://youtu.be/RHRhzafbdaU
One Minute Ukulele Review: https://youtu.be/Mor1MNISLUs

For that kind of money, I would recommend the readily available Caramel CS419. Solid mahogany top and back, sweet sound, with a built-in tuner/preamp. Sounds very natural plugged in. I suggest starting with the EQ set: bass=noon, mid=off, treble 11:00. Even if you have no intention of plugging in, the onboard tuner is very handy and unobtrusive. Routed in logo. 35mm nut.

They have been selling this model on Amazon continuously for at least 2 years. $40 today.

Last edited:
You say you want a Barking Caramel Soprano? Try a CS-100 Caramel. Laminate Zebrawood, builtin tuner and pickup and last I saw $45. Mine needed a little setup work but Caramel has improved their act in the last four or five years.

For that kind of money, I would recommend the readily available Caramel CS419. Solid mahogany top and back, sweet sound, with a built-in tuner/preamp. Sounds very natural plugged in. I suggest starting with the EQ set: bass=noon, mid=off, treble 11:00. Even if you have no intention of plugging in, the onboard tuner is very handy and unobtrusive. Routed in logo. 35mm nut.

They have been selling this model on Amazon continuously for at least 2 years. $40 today.

Do you have a link? I can't find that model on Amazon. Thanks.

Do you have a link? I can't find that model on Amazon. Thanks.

One of these just arrived at my house, and is going on a road trip with me. I'll be reviewing it sometime in August.

However, this model is currently unavailable on Amazon. With Caramel, you never know if/when you will see a model again.

Top Bottom