Another new boys toy

Timbuck

Reaction score
Having won a considerable amount of cash on the Lottery 50 UKP :p:shaka:I decided to treat myself to this new fangled chisel sharpening kit by Trend … it works very well if used right, and I spent half the day just having fun with it… I sharpened about a dozen chisels but I usually only use 2 of them… but it was still fun.

3E0BFC35-6D05-437A-B769-A69581153519.jpg

Last edited:
I have no idea how that is supposed to work. I got a sorby pro edge a few years ago to sharpen turning gouges and I can't believe I managed so long without one. Can sharpen just about anything to 3000 grit in a few minutes. Just amazing. Not cheap mind.

I have no idea how that is supposed to work. I got a sorby pro edge a few years ago to sharpen turning gouges and I can't believe I managed so long without one. Can sharpen just about anything to 3000 grit in a few minutes. Just amazing. Not cheap mind.

I bought one of them a few years ago and agree. Hands down the fastest and best results of any sharpening system I've tried. And our kitchen knives are sharp enough to shave with them too.

I have the Sorby but I think the bigger Axminster machine looks to be better particularly for the variable speed. I've often wished I could slow the Sorby down.

That Axminster thing is rather pricey! especially as it comes with no accessories, for which you'll have to spend half as much again. I'll pass.

Last edited:
Axminster one looks nice. Has an extraction port. But those tormec attachments will sting you money wise. The sorby is built to last. It is a bit industrial but it works.

I have the Sorby and it is a great tool for fast sharpening to a good enough edge for most work. Expensive! I also have the Veritas jig. If I'm working in soft wood, like Spanish cedar, I think I can get a better edge with the Veritas and water stones. However, the Sorby is next to my workbench, always ready to go, and plenty good enough for most projects.. I usually finish the Sorby edges with a leather disc and compound on the drill press. So, both sharpening systems have their place in my shop.-Bob

Top Bottom