Down the Rabbit Hole, Again!

JackLuis

Reaction score
I woke up this morning with Gene Autry on my mind, specifically, "Back In the Saddle Again."
I couldn't remember all the lyrics, or chords, so I goggled and that led me to Allen Jackson's,Tom T. HAll's "Buicks to the Moon" What?

I had to find out what that was about. It's another C-F-G7th song and kind of unique hidden gem.

Since I got my Guitalele this Monday, I dove in to Guitar music discussions and learned a whole lot of "stuff" that has given me more and more to study and practice. Including a light bulb moment on playing lead instead of just chord progressions and strumming.

Yes Chord progressions and strumming was the way I learned to play, 'cause it allowed me to play music quickly and learn to sing, a little, but there is so much more and each day leads me deeper into music.

Uke Talk seems to revolve around Uke models and $ values but seems to miss the point of the Music that comes out of our instruments.

So what musical Rabbit Holes have you all gone down lately?

Hot Rats by zappa and the 1988 rock opera, Operation Mindcrime. The latter especially has motivated me to brush up on my add9 chords and to use some pentatonics and modes to emulate the melodies.

Hot Rats by zappa and the 1988 rock opera, Operation Mindcrime. The latter especially has motivated me to brush up on my add9 chords and to use some pentatonics and modes to emulate the melodies.

Hot Rats played by uke ensemble... now that sounds like a promising project.

"So what musical Rabbit Holes have you all gone down lately?"

Glad that you're enjoying your guitalele so much, and it's inspiring you to expand beyond what you've played in the past.

I'm always down a rabbit hole that include The Beatles, (fingerpicking - no one wants to hear me sing, including me. LOL.) But I want to get back to polishing up and memorizing Randy Scruggs' version of Both Sides Now, (his was on guitar, but Chief Noda did a really nice arrangement for ukulele), and have some Brittni Paiva tabs in my stack of things to learn, and ... well, there is so much great music that I better live to be 150 so I can get to it all. :)

I've been playing metal music on my guitar, and my wife thinking I should quit.

Ha! I have books with ukulele arrangements for AC DC and Metallica songs arriving today. We will see how long it is until I am asked to practice in the basement. ;)

After playing a million variations on Robyn's Dancing On My Own, I was in the mood to learn Lita Ford's Kiss Me Deadly. I'm leaning on playing it in D, so I'm in the process of transposing the triads during the "Kiss Me Once...Kiss Me Twice" section.

My latest rabbit hole has been Putter’s arrangements of traditional Flemish, Dutch, and French tunes. Much fun!

"So what musical Rabbit Holes have you all gone down lately?"

...But I want to get back to polishing up and memorizing Randy Scruggs' version of Both Sides Now, (his was on guitar, but Chief Noda did a really nice arrangement for ukulele)....

@Joyful Uke, do you (still) have the tab for this? I would love it, it so! Thanks.

(pertinux @ gmail.com if you don't want to post publicly/need to contact me directly, and the PM thing busts up again.)

~ S.

Top Bottom