NUD: Kimo super tenor ukulele

a green field

Reaction score
Just got my new Kimo super tenor ukulele in the mail yesterday, and been playing it today. Curly Port Orford Cedar top, curly Black Walnut back and sides, with more specs available below. Definitely a well constructed uke with no imperfections I can observe, super easy to play and loud volume. Setup in low-G which I think this instrument lends itself to. I was looking for something a little less traditional in tonewoods (I have Koa ukes already) and something semi west-coast themed.

I was glad to customize a uke with someone who takes a great deal of pride in his work. It was also a pleasure talking with Hank about the build, including a few phone calls about building and builders and all the fun ukulele things. Definitely recommend him to others who are looking for a custom uke.

IMG_4507.jpgIMG_4506.jpgIMG_4505.jpg

For way better pictures than what I have around:
https://www.kimoukulele.com/2021/07/16/domestic-woods-super-tenor-ukulele/

Sweet uke. I didn't know POC could look like that. :eek:

It's gorgeous!

Congrats! i thought it was flamed maple!

Just got my new Kimo super tenor ukulele in the mail yesterday, and been playing it today. Curly Port Orford Cedar top, curly Black Walnut back and sides, with more specs available below. Definitely a well constructed uke with no imperfections I can observe, super easy to play and loud volume. Setup in low-G which I think this instrument lends itself to. I was looking for something a little less traditional in tonewoods (I have Koa ukes already) and something semi west-coast themed.

I was glad to customize a uke with someone who takes a great deal of pride in his work. It was also a pleasure talking with Hank about the build, including a few phone calls about building and builders and all the fun ukulele things. Definitely recommend him to others who are looking for a custom uke.

View attachment 134691View attachment 134692View attachment 134693

For way better pictures than what I have around:
https://www.kimoukulele.com/2021/07/16/domestic-woods-super-tenor-ukulele/

Congrats! I've really been digging the POC/Walnut combos that I've seen from some makers recently and you've got yourself an awesome looking one!

Kimo makes great UKES!
I should know I have three

Congrats a green field on the build from hank. I was following this specific build on Hank's IG. Great choice in woods (walnut) and love the figured POC. I didn't even know that POC comes like that till your in progress images.

How is the sound guessing really warm with the POC? i was wondering because some have compared it to spruce in tonal qualities. I have a couple Kimo's myself and they are both very different sounding.

Last edited:
Wow! That is just freakin' gorgeous.

I found it interesting on his site that he had to use different bracing for the curly POC. Similar to what he uses for redwood.

Congratulations.

Congrats, a green field! I really like the look of that cedar top and also its combination with the walnut. What a beautiful instrument.

Congrats a green field on the build from hank. I was following this specific build on Hank's IG. Great choice in woods (walnut) and love the figured POC. I didn't even know that POC comes like that till your in progress images.

How is the sound guessing really warm with the POC? i was wondering because some have compared it to spruce in tonal qualities. I have a couple Kimo's myself and they are both very different sounding.

Definitely warm but also pretty clear at the same time. I don't think it's as bright as my other spruce uke.

Definitely warm but also pretty clear at the same time. I don't think it's as bright as my other spruce uke.

Awesome! It will get louder and warmer with time. At least that is my experience with my Kimo ukes. Love them both! Congrats again:shaka:

Looks so beautiful and I'm sure it sounds great too...

Beautiful!
It's the kind of thing that can stir up UAS. :)
Enjoy!

Top Bottom