Soprano comparison

Timbuck

Reaction score
Last week I received some reclaimed mahogany from two different sources.. on reception I noticed after resawing one type appeared to be muchl lighter than the other..so on completion I got out the scales and weighed them without the necks all dimensions are identical ..and it worked out one was 11 percent heavier, what the difference will do to the sound I will find out later when the strings go on.
F22E29C0-B322-4DB5-AC0F-405CEDD90CCE by Ken Timms[/[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mbQyHR]C43F7738-F6BC-4C6B-9E57-6D85DAFEA98E by Ken Timms,

Last edited:
This should be very interesting. Will the heavier wood (denser?) sound any different? Better? Worse? Can't wait to find out. Or how about no discernable difference???

To my rheumy eyes the heavier one looks more like typical mahogany than the lighter. It will be interesting to learn if there is much difference in sound.

John Colter

To my rheumy eyes the heavier one looks more like typical mahogany than the lighter. It will be interesting to learn if there is much difference in sound.

John Colter
The heavier one is like a quilted grain pattern , where the lighter one is very straight grain. It felt so light when it arrived I was reluctant to use it for bodies and was going to use it just to make linings, but Mrs T suggested I built one from it to see how it sounds and I ended up with 6 sets from it.

How do these compare with your previous builds, Ken? I assume the heavier one is more typical of the timber you are used to - 11% is a big difference.

John Colter

I decide to take the other materials out of the equation, such as end blocks, linings , bracing, bridge plates, rosettes and F P , and just weighed the sets.
And came up with an even bigger difference in weight this time. 18.75 percent.
63C3651A-4F88-4D11-BA0B-73F790183D2C.jpg
A4ADF96D-15AD-4B22-BF3C-A89551466420.jpg

I'd prefer the heavier one - you get more for your money!

John Colter

I would imagine that using the light weight mahogany for the top plate would result in a very responsive killer Ukulele.

Top Bottom