Season 492 - If I Had The Wings Of A Dove

a doleful little ditty i wrote about a black horse.
3 years ago it was frost in July. This year it is drought.
The leaves are beginning to fall off the trees... unbelievable.

Cheers for hosting this one Joo. x I've only ever been able to find low G arrangements of this piece so hope it doesn't sound too odd dropping an octave on my re-entrant . Cavatina AKA 'The Deer Hunter' ........

Hello again, Joo! This is one of those songs that was regularly inflicted on me in my childhood (it's a wonder we ever grew up with any musical taste at all!) I DO apologise for my knees - it was very hot when I recorded this, but I didn't realise they would figure so largely!

This is a fun theme! Here is Heart of the Country by Paul McCartney, a short ditty from about 1970. Apparently, post-Beatles, he liked spending a lot of time at his farm in Scotland, I'm sure he needed a rest! In the song, he mentions horses and sheep. It's funny how you hear a song so many times,, and not really know the lyrics. I never knew he was saying "heart of the country, where the holy people grow", always thought it was "go".

Not sure why my video got flipped around, making it look like I'm a lefty.

Last edited:
My second song is also a song I wrote during FAWM. It was in response to a Skirmish Challenge to write a song with the title "The Best Thing Is..."
I thought of some nerdy guy who had an unusual hobby and typed into a search engine "unusual hobby"- I saw "Beetle Racing" and thought.. "Hmm, I wonder what that would involve..." I started work on the song using my imagination.... having only an hour to write it, record it and upload it to the site.

It was only afterwards that I checked out "Beetle Racing" and found it referred to people racing ancient VW Beetles ;):eek:

Anyway, I hope you like my:

I just updated the playlist and watched and commented on everyone's video. Enjoyed!

Mmmm.
Gonna share another "animal" song! This one is a bit sad, but the music is dancy. I think Rob might like it.

P.S. Thanks for the photos of your cats, Jim.
And that bat you found in your office looked so comfy there, Bob.
Speaking of bats, I was at the zoo one time and there were these few bats hanging upside down from a tree branch. I was just asking out loud how they could pee without having pee all over their body...
when one of them sort of swung its body upright (like a gymnast) real quick, and let out its pee so that none would get on its body.
Haha.

Last edited:
Here's a double whammy for you. Elephants is the title, Them Crooked VULTURES is the band. My favourite song off their album. As it's essentially a six-minute dick-waving contest between Josh Homme and John Paul Jones it's a tricky one to pull off on the uke so this is a bit rough.

Here is a Kinks song. Ray Davies versus modernity, a theme he visited often. My dear friend Al wants this played at his funeral.

Here's a song by Belle and Sebastian, who took their name from a French novel about a boy and his dog. It also has a fox in the title. If you're curious about the flash about half way through, so am I, but I do know that that's about the point where the street's power went off for a couple of hours... Apparently a fuse blew in the substation...

Even without power it's possible to overdub a concert uke and a few other bits and pieces. I waited until the power came back to add the keyboard parts.

Complicity - Bernie Martin

Bernie was a good friend to Maggie and me. This is the first Bernie Martin song I ever heard. He played it for me the first time I visited the home he and Mary had near Kendal, Ont. in the spring of 1990. Bernie was a multi-instrumentalist, singer, song-writer, actor, playwright, painter, story-teller, poet, clown, puppeteer, environmentalist... who loved life and his work. We lost Bernie in 1995, but he lives on in his songs and poems.
When I watched Ryan's song about elephants, I knew I had to do this one. Bernie never got the chance to record this song and I believe that Al Kirby, Zeke Mazurek and I made the only recording of this song on Al's and my CD "Sittin' In The Kitchen". I believe you can listen to that version here, with me on vocals and guitar, Al on banjo and Zeke on fiddle.
https://www.reverbnation.com/jimyates4

I learned that minor lick at the start from an LP that I have not heard since the sixties. It was either Joan Baez or Ian & Sylvia. . .I think.

bernie martin.jpg..........Zeke w fiddle.jpg..........al1.jpg
Bernie Martin RIP, Zeke Mazurek RIP, Al Kirby

Last edited:
here's a quick and dirty recording, I had a mental block on the second verse ~:^(

Thanks for hosting Joo - great theme! :)

This is probably my favourite Annie Lennox song, so it’s great to have an excuse to play and sing it here with the multitalented and fabulous Liz Brinker - aka FabuLiz - who once again completely transforms it way beyond its original level with her beautiful vocal harmonies, uke playing and finger clicking! Thank you Liz!!! :)

Hi!

I think of our Seasonista friend Lesley from time to time.
I had talked with her online several times. She was such a sweetie, so kind, honest, very caring, yet not afraid to tell you what she thought. A beautiful person.
We lost her last October.
Today she was in my mind a lot. I went to her channel and found this song she wrote.
I think it must have been the time when she started getting problems with her fingers...
I had missed this video when she first posted it. But, better late than never, right?
Here's Lesley playing Where Eagles Fly.

Last edited:
and when I thought of Lesley I remember seeing this super sweet video of her and Ukeydave playing together in person in 2014. here https://youtu.be/97uP5dbvOg4

So i went to Ukeydave's channel and I found this! It fits the theme!

https://youtu.be/WLVKWyOqh38
Love how he filmed it!

I really like his intro line to his channel:

"I play Ukulele and my name is Dave."

Oh, and I also saw a collab he did with Pa. 8 years ago! Here!
(hope you don't mind Brian. )

We lost Dave sometime in Dec 2014, if i am remembering the date correctly.
But the videos and his music are all on YT. :)

Hope you all enjoy these videos I share here!

Last edited:
Wow. I can't believe I actually caught up with everything.

Really enjoyed myself thoroughly. I hope you are too.

( I have turned the "invisible mode on" OFF here, so you can't see me when i am here. I am so stealthy like a big cat.)

This is Day 4 for me, and I like everything I heard and watched. I caught a quick peek this morning (it's night here for me now) because I was excited, and I was smiling as I saw the videos.

Here are some comments and questions to a few of you who have posted.:)

Janet, who was that playing with you? April?
She was quite good. And the Oak Ridge Boys song is a good song, so sweet.
I caught a corner of your fish tank...do you have a name for the fella swimming in there? :)
I enjoyed this tremendously. Thank you for sharing.

Jim, I love those photos of your friends.
I like looking at people's faces.
Those are beautiful portraits, even though I don't know them, I feel I do. That is the power and beauty of a good photo.
I have listened to the version of your friend's song on reverbnation, and it blew me away.
(I hope the rest of you take a sec to check that out too.)

Edwin, what a great story about the lights going off one by one after you recorded your delightful cover. I saw the flash in the middle of the song. You don't get that kind of moment every day. :)
Also, I wanted to ask about the 8-string you're playing in your video...what is it? I love how it sounds. I heard Bob played his this week and absolutely loved the sound, and I think I want to get one too.
I have played Jon's 8-string uke which was I think a concert, and it was nice, but I like the baritone version of it. They have a name they call these 8-string ukes, right? I forgot the name.

And Rob, please keep sharing your videos. I really enjoy them.
You make these cool sounds with Garageband. I have yet to explore that. Maybe next week!

And, and....
the people mentioned here are not in the order when they appeared..
Joko did a twisted something...dunno what you call it...he played with the speed of the recording and stuff...
and I liked his "blooper moments" he included into his videos. It was part of the whole package and it was FANTASTIC.

Rick brought a cover of Apeman! Yeah! He sang the high parts well! Great job Rick! No squeaks from Rick! I laughed when you spoke in that falsetto at the end.

Ryan sounded real good. Bet your throat's all ready for your upcoming gig, Ryan.

Berni was here too! I love Berni.

Val showed us her knees...... How rude of you, young lady!!!

(when you're hosting you CAN say these things to your friends here.)

Del and Liz teamed up again, bringing us a really lovely cover of an Annie Lennox's song.
Del is in side-view and Liz is front view in the video..
(extra points will be given if you guys swapped in the next collab!...
I mean the angles you both film yourselves, LOL)
( was nice to see you Del...I was waiting for you)

Robin, I been wanting to tell you that I like your UU name. I always thought of you as "that lumpywafflesquirt" fella...although I only saw you here a few times.
I like rough and dirty recordings, and that was fun.

John (Ukecaster) told me he recorded his cover on a cell phone. You all should check out his cover.
The sound was so clean.

Mark played the second instrumental this week. The first was Pa's noodling yesterday or the day before...
(Brian, pabrizzer I mean, also brought us a lovely cover of a song by one of the musicians in Eagle and Wolf, the duo he recommended to us)
where was I....oh Mark...he played us a piece that reminded me a lil' of Bach...very sweet.
Nice to hear you and see half of you on screen Mark.

Anyway, I saw Liz here now! Hope she is posting another song for us!

OKAY people, auntie joo is logging off now....
see you all tomorrow!

Last edited:
Top Bottom