Season 492 - If I Had The Wings Of A Dove

Hi Joo, thanks for your enthusiastic hosting this week!

Edwin, what a great story about the lights going off one by one after you recorded your delightful cover. I saw the flash in the middle of the song. You don't get that kind of moment every day. :)
Also, I wanted to ask about the 8-string you're playing in your video...what is it? I love how it sounds. I heard Bob played his this week and absolutely loved the sound, and I think I want to get one too.

It's one of these, a Kala ABP8-CTG (don't they have the catchiest names): https://worldofukes.co.uk/baritone-bass-ukes/kala-ka-abp8-ctg-8-string-baritone-ukulele
I see they're in stock :). Bob's looks like it might be the same one. I was a bit hesitant to get one but I'm glad I did, it's very satisfying to play.

Love the Three Ravens song Geoff I recently found some old albums during a lockdown cleanout and this song is on an Northumbrian Minstrelsy album sung by Isla Cameron 1965, I must have had good taste back then !! Some beautiful pipe music on the same album played by Jack Armstrong a good Border Reivers name that one.

My third (and perhaps last) song this week is yet another one from my productive month at FAWM '21.

This one was also for a Skirmish (Write a song, record it and upload it within an hour challenge). This time the person setting the theme challenged us to link Hobbits and Hot Dogs.

My take on that theme was this entry. It qualifies for this week not perhaps because there is a "dog" in the title, but because it mentions headless chickens and dogs with hives :D

Hope you like:

Ok, I think this is my last one. No promises, though. I don't know this band well, but a mom in music class used a recording of this song from The Be Good Tanyas to make a video of her kids playing in the rain, and it was one of the loveliest things I've seen. From their 2000 album Blue Horse. Forgot to mention, we have a house wren near our porch who is about two to three inches in length, at most, and he or she does, indeed, have the most beautiful song I've ever heard.

The Littlest Birds Sing The Prettiest Songs
Samantha Parton/Jolie Holland

Look what Rob got up to six years ago:

Please take a look at his video, if you have time, it’s stellar :- 0

Last edited:
Okay, just one more :). This is a fun theme, thanks Joo! There's quite a few animal themed songs on the Magnetic Fields album "69 Love Songs". Here's one of them, accompanied by a concert ukulele and an overdubbed baritone ukelele, and some of my clones joining in the chorus.

Hi Joo, thanks for your enthusiastic hosting this week!

It's one of these, a Kala ABP8-CTG (don't they have the catchiest names): https://worldofukes.co.uk/baritone-bass-ukes/kala-ka-abp8-ctg-8-string-baritone-ukulele
I see they're in stock :). Bob's looks like it might be the same one. I was a bit hesitant to get one but I'm glad I did, it's very satisfying to play.

Oh thank you Edwin! I will check if the singapore uke shops here have this.
The shipping will be crazy much.

By the way, seasonista friends, i want to take you on my first 5 minutes at the office...

Dear Berni, Liz, Edwin and Jim, I will add your videos to the playlist now and enjoy them later.
So glad you liked that video by Alan Brandt, Liz!

Last edited:
Joo! Thank you for the peek into your workspace, wardrobe selections and cool toy collection! I’m an animal, too. We have things in common!
Your friend,
Liz :-D

Joo! Thank you for the peek into your workspace, wardrobe selections and cool toy collection! I’m an animal, too. We have things in common!
Your friend,
Liz :-D

haha, Liz. yay. :) I wanted to show off my Singapore mask. It was given to us. I didn't have to wear it coz I have 2000 other masks but I wanted to today. see you later!

Thanks for a wonderful week Joo. It was nice to see that you are a Yoyoer (Is that a word?) When I was a kid I won a bronze Cheerio Yoyo Award (This had nothing to do with the breakfast cereal) in a yoyo contest. I'll have to get one to see if I can remember any tricks.

Bronze Cheerio Yoyo Award.jpg

https://yoyo.fandom.com/wiki/Cheerio

Last edited:
you have been a brilliant host this week and thank you for indulging me.
Give a monkey a ladder and he'll get up on your roof.

Morning!

My mate, John (of Country Horse fame), his brother, Neil and myself used to (a long, long time ago) have a band together. We were called Uncle Bugle and we wrote many, many songs. All were very short and most were about animals. Song titles included, "Phillip the Prawn Horse", "Porky William Badger Head", "Where's That Goose?", "Incontinent Snake" and "Simon the Penis Eating Goat", to name but a few...
Here's one of our more 'radio friendly' efforts.
It features a snake who is a cat and an old wise dog.

Last edited:
life is more than just doing chores, especially if you are a one eyed cat

I just recorded a version of the one-eyed cat song. It is called My Friend Next Door.
When Rob put my lyrics to the Russian song it made me laugh so bad.
Totally random and I liked that a lot!

So much fun, Rob.
I am so happy that you are picking some of your videos to share with us, please don't stop!
I actually wanted to go and dig out some of yours to share too, but I will let you do the selection yourself!

Anyway, dear friends, here is the one-eyed cat song i just recorded. The thumbnail photo for the video is me and her last year, in a rare visit.

Will go and check out these latest videos now. :)

Good morning (here), Joo! I’ve just added Rob’s rendition of The Littlest Birds Sing The Prettiest Songs from 6 years ago to my original post, above. It is so beautiful…just…stellar. Enjoy! Thank you, Rob!

Top Bottom