Season 492 - If I Had The Wings Of A Dove

Hey Val, Janet, Jim, Geoff, Joko, Liz, Marc and Rob!
I enjoyed your videos very much, thank you!

I am going to handle a roast chicken for tonight's dinner nowish, but i would like to share this video from the one and only Alan Brandt,
a.k.a. Ukisociety on YouTube. He was one of the pioneers of the Seasons.
I read that this song/video was inspired by a real life event he came across in the news.

Here's a rarely sighted beast...the nylon string slide. Enjoying all these critters you all have herded.

Everybody Wants To Be A Cat Floyd Huddleston & Al Rinker
I first heard this on a cassette that my sister Sharon gave me by Calgary singer/violinist Karl Roth. This was the title song.
I only found out today that it was in the movie The Aristocats.

Here are our last two cats, Smitty and Kameer.
Smitty good one.jpg kameer2.jpg
We no longer have any cats, but when I go out on the deck to drink my morning coffee, a couple of neighbour cats often come over for a head scratch.

Last edited:
Hi again dear Seasonistas!
I disappeared for almost half a day because i was busy with this....
A collab with Val and Jon.

a Kimya Dawson song

featuring the lovely Val Stapleton on harmonies and singing the French verse,

and the wonderful Jon Duncan on additional ukuleles, hand drum, egg shaker, wooden frog percussion and harmonies.

i played the baritone ukulele and sang twice over.
then i made the animation for this.
the paintings of the people and the tree, and the kid with the hippo on a bicycle, are watercolour paintings i did some years ago. the photo of the field of wild flowers is by Val. She took the photo on a cloudy day, but the sun was shining in our hearts when we made this collab.

Thank you so much for adding to this, Val and Jon!
I love what you both did.

I will be back to comment, and make more silly notes tomorrow!
Good night! (1.33AM here)

Last edited:
Oh Rob!
I will watch that tomorrow when i wake up!
I remember it made me laugh out loud the first time i saw it.
Good night, my friends.

Hi again dear Seasonistas!
I disappeared for almost half a day because i was busy with this....
A collab with Val and Jon.

a Kimya Dawson song

featuring the lovely Val Stapleton on harmonies and singing the French verse,

and the wonderful Jon Duncan on additional ukulele, hand drum, and harmonies.

i played the baritone ukulele and sang twice over.
then i made the animation for this.
the painting of the people and tree is a watercolour painting i did some years ago. the photo of the field of wild flowers is by Val. She took the photo on a cloudy day, but the sun was shining in our hearts when we made this collab.

Thank you so much for adding to this, Val and Jon!
I love what you both did.

I will be back to comment, and make more silly notes tomorrow!
Good night! (1.33AM here)

Loni hugging tree.jpg My lovely daughter-in-law, Loni, a died in the wool tree-hugger and a rural planner for Peel Region. This song made me think of her.

Last edited:
Here's my first this week. I might have a couple more up my sleeve - time and commitments permitting. It's another from my very productive FAWM catalogue this year. Thanks Joo for giving me a great excuse to upload it to YouTube.

Hope you enjoy:

(Whispering so I don't waken Joo...) Hi animal lovers, I am so happy to be home this week. I know where everything is here. I'll be away again next week, so, wish me luck. Here is one I've always enjoyed and that I've wanted to play, but never have. I know I've been bombarding you with songs this week, but it's such a rich theme and I'm home, so... there will be a couple more, I'm afraid.

Rocky Raccoon
Lennon-McCartney

Hey, people!

Song number two from me. I'll never pass up an opportunity to play a Handsome Family song and so here's a tale of nature reclaiming the world which mentions a whole menagerie of critters, doves included.
Also, after a brief cameo in my last video, the 8 string makes a full return to the fray after her incident...It's so good to have her back!

Oh Rob!
I will watch that tomorrow when i wake up!
I remember it made me laugh out loud the first time i saw it.
Good night, my friends.

The link to your original does not work anymore

Good Day Seasonistas! :)
(taking a quick break from work to say Hello and update things a little bit)

"Day 3" for me was fully of lovely surprises. Nice to see frisbee fred here. He was one of the regulars when I first joined in 2015. He has what I call a big-hearted voice. I am sure he is a big-hearted person too.

Val and her lovely kitty Margot entertained us with a very delightful version of a Tom Jones classic, with heavy purring! haha.

Janet shared her parody about a coon, set to the music of Bad, Bad Leroy Brown. I laughed, yes.
The expression of the raccoon in the drawing is so funny! It is totally spot on! I mean, when you have dumped a wholesome piece of turd, you do wear that victorious look, don't you?
Really glad you're having fun with the Season, Janet. Yes, please write us a hermit crab song!

Mmmm...I am typing all these and am wondering why I am doing this? As if you all cannot see the videos yourselves! Yes, you can! And I am not merely reporting the existence of any video here because it is stupid to do so. What I am doing, and will do instead, is to bring to attention, not that it lacks interest from most of us, a very heartfelt cover of a beautifully written paoriginal by Liz. It is worth your time checking that out.

And Jim, thanks for the photos of the fish ladder. The only images I have on Lake Ontario in my mind is from the art of one of my favourite graphic novelist Seth. He is a Canuck.
I was just wondering how the fish ladder helps the fish get upstream? Looking at the photos, I dunno how.
I imagine, if i were a salmon, I might not like having groups of humans watching me trying to survive and preserve my species.

Thanks Brian for sharing with us the music from Eagle and The Wolf, I will check them out soon.

Yes, Rob, unfortunately I had done the unwise move of deleting several versions of my YouTube channels over the years, and the original video for my One-Eyed Cat song is not on YT right now. I might do a new version for myself one day, let's see. Thanks for sharing the happy memories. I laughed so much at your cover/parody. The cat still lives next door, but she doesn't visit anymore. Her owner does not like her wandering around. She seems pretty contented though.

At this point, there are some other videos I have yet to check out and comment. I will add them to the playlist now and enjoy them later.

Hope everyone is having a good day or evening, or sleep!

Later!

I can't match his singing or playing, but I hope this ballad captures the peacveful nature of the Valley like Bob did up there.

And Jim, thanks for the photos of the fish ladder. The only images I have on Lake Ontario in my mind is from the art of one of my favourite graphic novelist Seth. He is a Canuck.
I was just wondering how the fish ladder helps the fish get upstream? Looking at the photos, I dunno how.
I imagine, if i were a salmon, I might not like having groups of humans watching me trying to survive and preserve my species.

The fish ladder uses a series of small dams and pools of regular length to create a long, sloping channel for fish to travel around the dam. You can only see the first pool in the photo. To head upstream, fish must jump over from box to box in the ladder. They still have to jump, but they are much smaller jumps than trying to jump over the dam, an impossibility for a salmon or rainbow trout.
I'm pretty sure the salmon don't even notice the folks watching their progress. There are many rapids on the way up to and after the dam that don't require ladders.

Last edited:
that's true, Jim. regarding salmons not giving a care about people looking at them as they leap.
Often I use my human-mind to think what animals think.
( I wanna be the bear standing by waiting for salmons to jump into her mouth though)

SHARING ANOTHER ANIMAL SONG:
there is a musician whose name has an animal in it, and he had a couple animal songs.
It just came to my mind. Nick Drake, of course.

I hope you all don't mind me sharing all these videos.
Still at work, just taking a sec to share this.
It sounded like Nick Drake recorded this at home. I like the home-recording quality.

Will be back!

Last edited:
Top Bottom