Using wireless mics

Nickie

Reaction score
Our Bassist has been using a wireless headset for over a year now, with pretty good results. I am thinking of getting one myself, I hate tripping over mic stands and cables. She may be upgrading hers.

My question is: do they not have to be of different frequencies to work properly in the same band? I know of one company that makes theirs in different frequencies (MHz)

I'll be interested to hear feedback on this question as the band I play in has a few players that've bought wireless headsets , a few use wireless instrument thingammy's and they do cause issues as they all decide which frequency they're on funny to watch but stressful if your trying to organise a sound check .

Nickie,

You need to plan for the future. Find out what the bass player has and plan accordingly. Generally speaking, you can split the wireless spectrum into 2 areas, the 2.4 Ghz (the same as Wifi, Shure GLX-D, Audio Technica System 10 and Pro, and Line 6), or the TV Spectrum 470 -618Mhz. DO NOT Buy anything above that for use in the US!! 700 Mhz was sold off in 2011 and the 600 Mhz, below 618 notwithstanding, as of 2 years ago. Here's the thing. TV stations live in the 470-618 as well and that spectrum has gotten way more crowded. My recommendation is buy something that will scan and find their own channel, if you buy a UHF system 470-618. With the 2.4 Ghz, once they're paired, they will change channels as needed (at least the Audio Technica and Shure will).

Also, don't let anyone confuse you with digital, which some people (that should know better) use interchangeably with 2.4 Ghz. Which are not interchangeable. Every wireless that Shure makes, other than their lowest end BLX System is a digital system! Digital doesn't mean better, just more efficient, in spectrum and power (battery life). But, unless you're using 16 channels or more in the UHF spectrum digital is not necessarily better.

Full disclosure, I work for the Rep Firm that Reps Audio Technica in Florida. If you buy one of their products in Florida it will benefit my company! Before that, I owned the company the was the Shure Rep for Florida until 3 years ago.

That said, I'd recommend looking at the AT System 10. In most places, you can get up to 8-10 systems working in one venue and they're very reasonably priced. I do use the Shure GLX-D for my bass rig, but filling in for a friend of mine at a July 3rd gig, (with both guitar players using[and me] using GLX-D systems), one guitar player had to use a cable to sidestep dropouts. The GLX-D is a great system, but firmware versions and proximity greatly limit the number of channels you can use at once.

A note of warning...Everyone wants wireless mics to be easy to use, and they used to be much easier, but since 2009, that's not the case. Wireless is never going to be as reliable as a $25.00 cable, but if you plan ahead and scan (2.4 does that for you) when you you reach a new venue, they can work fine.

P.S. inexpensive VHF systems don't work as well as inexpensive UHF or 2.4 systems. My definition is under $1500.00 a channel is inexpensive, FWIW.

timmit65,
Wow! thank you. I will let the bassist know about this. She uses a very inexpensive headset, and it seems to work pretty well. I'm not sure why she wants to upgrade, except that she loves buying new gadgets!

Top Bottom