Selling on Consignment

Joyful Uke

Reaction score
Yes, it's me again, still trying to figure out what I'm going to do about selling a ukulele. :)

Any places recommended for selling on consignment? (I do realize that they'll take out 20% or thereabouts as their share.)

Anything to ask a place before handing over my ukulele?

I'll be shipping to somewhere, (unless it's Guitar Center or Sam Ash, which I've read isn't the best option), but it will be in the US.

Hi, Joyful Uke - I recently sent three ukes to Elderly Instruments in Michigan for consignment. It’s a bit of a ‘process’ to get the consignments set-up, but very worth it to me as it’s far less stressful for me than selling privately online or in person. Reach out to ‘Frog’ (yes, that’s his name, truly!) in the consignment area at Elderly. You can also try Tommy’s Guitars in Everett, WA; I sold consignment ukes through them a ton when I lived in the area. The other place that does consignment uke sales is Gryphon Strings in CA. Best wishes on your sale!

P.S. You can also try Dusty Strings in Seattle; they do a lot of consignment ukes and I’ve worked with them before as well. Cheers!

Hi, Joyful Uke - I recently sent three ukes to Elderly Instruments in Michigan for consignment. It’s a bit of a ‘process’ to get the consignments set-up, but very worth it to me as it’s far less stressful for me than selling privately online or in person. Reach out to ‘Frog’ (yes, that’s his name, truly!) in the consignment area at Elderly. You can also try Tommy’s Guitars in Everett, WA; I sold consignment ukes through them a ton when I lived in the area. The other place that does consignment uke sales is Gryphon Strings in CA. Best wishes on your sale!

Thanks.
That was my thinking - it will be less stressful than a DYI sale, so that will make it worth the commission paid.

Elderly was one of the places I was going to check into. I'll look at the others that you mentioned as well.

How about Music Emporium? Does anyone recommend them for selling on commission?

Any others?

Thank you all for your patience with me. :)

I, unfortunately, don’t know about Music Emporium, but thought of another place you might consider, Musician’s Friend. I am not aware of what their process is, though, in how they consign instruments, but it might be worth investigating to compare and contrast. I’ll also add that Elderly takes 25 percent I believe; Dusty Strings typically purchases outright in my experience; Tommy’s Guitars was also 25 percent; never got far enough with Gryphon Strings to find out what their take is.

I'd better go read the website again. I thought that Elderly was 20%, but I certainly might not be remembering that correctly.
25% is getting up there, but I guess you can look at it that it's a way to help keep music stores profitable enough to stay open so they can keep selling us fun things. :)

Someone just DM'd me a helpful suggestion, so I'm off to check that out, too. And I'll check out your other suggested places to sell on consignment. Thanks!

I have consigned in the past with Gryphon Strings and The Ukulele Site. Ukulele Friend also is a popular choice. They all prefer higher end ukes. If you are not local, you will need to discuss shipping with them and the price might get decided after they receive it.

Top Bottom