Resale Sweet Spot?

ghostrdr

Reaction score
Is there a re-sale sweet spot? My observations of the secondary marketplace are as follows:

Ukes in the sub $200 range are hard to sell used.

Ukes with an asking price in the $500-1000 range are the easiest to re-sell.

Ukes in the north of $1500+ range, particularly north of $2000 or more are also difficult to sell.

Do you agree with my non-scientific observations? Would your numbers be different? Why is it? (maybe one explanation is that the higher the asking price, the more you have to factor in higher shipping and insurance costs, etc.).

It all depends.

If it is in demand, it will sell relatively quickly.
Sub $200 USD, unless the fees and shipping are paid by the seller, you can buy a new one for close to the same price.
$500-$1000 USD sell well. But again, it depends upon brand, model, condition, shipping, fees, import duty, etc.
Many an aNueNue UT200 Moon Bird, Collings UT1 Mahogany, Ko'Aloha KTM-00, Kinnard Tenor, Hive tenor have sold very quickly. Others have languished.

It just depends upon desirability, timing, the seller, and the market.

Last edited:
I think a lot depends on where you sell.

Assuming the price points are the selling prices (i.e. not the purchase/list prices of the ukes), below are my experiences. All transactions are within last year except 2 that I sold this year. I use Craigslist.org to sell my ukes.

Ukes < $200 are extremely easy to sell; none took more than 2 weeks to sell. I generally price each uke at about 70% of my purchase price (including tax). All (except 2) are Kala brand ukes; I was able to get a few 25% off Kala coupons so I bought them. The fastest was a Kala KA-ASCP-C at $200 within an hour (ok, this was extremely fast, but many sold within 1-2 days).

Besides the cheaper ukes, I also advertised some more expensive ukes on Craigslist, but I was able to sell only 1, a Kanile'a K1-S for $700, and that took a while.

I feel that if I had discounted my more expensive ukes a bit more, I could have sold them. The reason is that my Kala ukes _LOOKS_ less than 70% pricing because of my 25% coupon while I had buy the more expensive ukes at list prices.

It's all about price and condition. Some people want a used uke to look better than a new one. When I sell anything, I'm doing so because I don't want it any longer. I'm not doing it to get rich. I see what similar ukes are selling for, and that's my starting point. I've sold thirty-eight ukes in the past five years, all at reasonable prices, and they sold fast.

It all depends.

If it is in demand, it will sell relatively quickly.
Sub $200 USD, unless the fees and shipping are paind by the seller, you can buy a new one for close to the same price.
$500-$1000 USD sell well. But again, it depends upon brand, model, condition, shipping, fees, import duty, etc.
Many an aNueNue UT200 Moon Bird, Collings UT1 Mahogany, Ko'Aloha KTM-00, Kinnard Tenor, Hive tenor have sold very quickly. Others have languished.

It just depends upon desirability, timing, the seller, and the market.

IA with this. I think that the market is slow right now, but in the past, some of those high end ones mentioned here have sold within hours. I think they don't sell as quickly now, and it's the mid-range ukuleles that sell better right now. But, I recall someone once saying here on UU that at the right price, anything will sell, so I guess it also depends on how motivated the seller is to sell quickly, too.

Top Bottom