Squeaky strings?

necessaryrooster

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Is there anything that you can do about this besides changing the strings? Aquilas seem to be extremely squeaky especially with my strumming hand, even if I only strum with my fingernail. Makes fingerpicking kind of annoying. Doesn't seem to be as bad with the fretting hand.

This is one reason that I have given up on Aquilas, both the white and the red strings.

It never bothered me, but I always found Aquilas had that tendency. I switched over to Worth Browns a few years ago and much prefer them!

I don't use Aquilas, don't like the sound. Get a nice fluorocarbon set. Your uke will sound better and no nasty squeaking.

How long have you had then on? Usually this goes away with a little time. Which Aquilas are these? Some seem to have his tendency more than others.

As some mention, changing strings is an option, but Aquila makes a very good product and it depends on your taste and your instrument.

How long have you had then on? Usually this goes away with a little time. Which Aquilas are these? Some seem to have his tendency more than others.

As some mention, changing strings is an option, but Aquila makes a very good product and it depends on your taste and your instrument.

It's a Koaloha soprano (KSM-00) that I bought used back at the end of May. The previous owner said it didn't get much playtime, and I think he changed the strings on it before he sent it to me (so the strings are pretty new as well). I don't remember what strings he said he put on there, I just vaguely remember him saying he would change to Aquilas. They sound really good, apart from the squeaking. I didn't really notice it so much until I switched to playing more fingerstyle.

I guess it's just time to switch strings! I was kind of hoping it would be something that went away when the strings "broke in" or something. It's seen a decent amount of play time since I got it; it was my primary for a while and I play at least 20 minutes a day, longer on the weekends.

Aquila red are very squeaky.

Aquila new Nylgut are "dry"

Aquila super Nylgut are not squeaky at all.

I like AQUILA SUPER NYLGUT strings and they are less expensive than fluorocarbon strings.

I have different kind of Aquila strings on most of my ukes and have not noticed any squeakiness at all. Usually noises like this are a result of technique, and responsive instruments or strings tend to magnify sloppy playing.

I have different kind of Aquila strings on most of my ukes and have not noticed any squeakiness at all. Usually noises like this are a result of technique, and responsive instruments or strings tend to magnify sloppy playing.

Certain Aquila are actually known to have squeaking issues. The owner of Aquila in Italy, Mimmo, has been on this forum examining this issue with the members. The new Aquila Sugar strings were reformulated recently and have a "squeakless" sticker attached. Some members still find some, but much less squeaking with the new formulation.

To the OP: KoAloha uses "fishing line" that is most closely duplicated by Worth Clear strings (as advised by them). I recommend these, having owned a soprano and concert from them, to bring out their beautiful soprano sound. Note that Worth strings appear pricy, but they make them long enough so that you cut them in half to get two sets from a package.

Last edited:
What's squeaky sound? Is it like the finger nails scratching the strings?

What's squeaky sound? Is it like the finger nails scratching the strings?

There are many ways to introduce a squeak on the strings; usually come from finger tips instead of nails. A lot of times technique is important, but there are also strings that have more squeak than others

Just put "Aquila Lava" strings on my baritone yesterday, and haven't noticed any squeaking yet... in fact, they really sound great. I never checked to see if they were "super duper nylagut". Maybe my fingers are oiley, after all, "the squeaky string gets the oil"...:rolleyes:

you should try using very fine grit sandpaper maybe 400 grit and lightly go over the strings..Rick Turner suggested this a while ago

The Aquila sugar strings tend to squeak for a few plays but it eventually goes away.

There is a friction between the skin of the fingers and the surface they touch. The ridges on the fingertips creates a rough texture that aids in grip. And of course pressure increases the friction to a point. There is a very small "tooth" (roughness) to the surface of the Nylgut strings. And many other brands as well. The finger ridges interact with the slightly rough surface and creates the squeak.

I seem to recall that there used to be a string lubricant around years ago. (Gibson, maybe?) It was supposed to eliminate guitar string squeak. It was mostly aimed at classical guitar players, but was used by steel string players too.

I think you sprayed it on the strings.

No idea about how well it worked or if it gummed up the fretboard or anything.

Last edited:
There are many ways to introduce a squeak on the strings; usually come from finger tips instead of nails. A lot of times technique is important, but there are also strings that have more squeak than others

Thanks for the elaboration. Seems I get some squeak too.

I believe that's the Aquila Sugar strings that now come with the "Squeakless" sticker.

Think you are correct... confusing the reds as being not good with plastic frets due to metallic content. Corrected my original post.

A little squeak doesn't bother my. You hear it a lot from guitar players. Some go to great lengths to get rid of it some just consider it a part of the acoustic sound.

I don't use Aquilas, don't like the sound. Get a nice fluorocarbon set. Your uke will sound better and no nasty squeaking.

Each to his or her own opinion, but I think fluorocarbons sound tinny.

Top Bottom