Kanile'a KSR-T E-String buzz

MentalAtom

Reaction score
Hey folks, got my new Kanile'a KSR-T a week ago and I love it but it seems like it developed a slight buzz on the E string when open or fretted, and also happens a little when I pluck the C string too. FYI I changed the strings from the Aquilas to Worth Browns.

I know it's the E string because if I apply slight pressure on the bridge pin for E, then it stops for 30 seconds - 1min and then starts again. I checked the string and it has no tail, could it be the pin is slightly too small or something? Would love suggestions as if necessary I don't wanna drive 1.5 hours back to the guy I bought it from so he can take a look...

Thanks!

By the sounds of it you are on the right track, it has something to do with the pin, yet I'm not really sure what to suggest.
Bridge-pin bridges can be problematic sometimes without using a ball end on the string.

What did the strings you removed look lie at the end that fitted under the bridge?

I investigated a bit more and realised that bridge pin is just super loose (like, I can pull it out easily with almost no work) when the others are all very tight, so I will try and get a different pin in there for starters that's a bit tighter and hopefully that's all there is to it.

The strings that came out just had a big knot, no bead or anything on there. I put the new ones with also just a big knot and they were fine all week but I guess things "loosen up" a little and now the bridge pin misbehaves.

Be sure to pull up on the string as you push the pin in to wedge the knot into the bridge pin slot. Helps seat the string and put more tension on the pin.

there could be problems with the neck with no relief or frets uneven etc...did the shop do a setup on your uke before they sold it to you almost all ukes no matter price need some kind of setup done to it..i would take it back to the shop you bought it from...

there could be problems with the neck with no relief or frets uneven etc...did the shop do a setup on your uke before they sold it to you almost all ukes no matter price need some kind of setup done to it..i would take it back to the shop you bought it from...

Yeah, they did and its set up really well. I just suspect the pin was sitting nice and tight ever since it was built and now it moved its not so snug. Also, humidity changes (its
probably less humid here than hawaii!) maybe it shrunk just a tiny bit.

I emailed the shop and will see what they say

Did you try switching pins with one of the other ones? If lucky, neither will buzz and both will do the job.

Brad's comment is spot on: Sounds like an issue with the pin, either pushed in too lose after the string change, or with the slot facing the string (for nylon strings, the slot on the pin has to face away from the string, somewhat counterintuitivly). Should be an easy fix: Release the tension on the two strings buzzing, then turn the slot away from the string if that isn't the case. Make sure to push the pin down tight while tuning the string back up to full tension.

By the way, I just saw that you are in Switzerland. Hi from a fellow Swiss from Zurich!

Sooo, update - I dropped to a guitar shop to see if they had a replacement pin (they didn't) but he recommended soaking the pin in water for a couple of hours so it expands and fits in the hole better. I did it, and it fits nice and snug now! Just to wait and see if it shrinks again.

Thanks for all your advice, if it gets loose again I will for sure try all of the above... And the pins actually don't have slots - maybe it's a new thing as my islander uke had slotted pins a year ago. They are just solid pins.

Switch the pin with the one holding the C string. The larger C string diameter may compensate for the smaller pin diameter.

Top Bottom