Tenor strings on super concert?

Strum

Reaction score
I want to take the Living Water strings off my tenor, which is 17" from nut to saddle, and put them on my Kamoa Super Concert, which is 16" from nut to saddle.

Are you asking for our permission? Go for it! :p

Seriously, it should work just fine. They will be a little lower tension on the Kamoa. Concert strings should also work fine and will likely be even lower tension

Um, won't the tenor strings result in slightly higher tension on the Kamoa? I often use concert strings on tenors (the reverse pairing) in order to reduce tension a bit.

I'm not saying the tension with the tenor strings will be too high, just that it will be a bit higher rather than lower.

Maybe I'm having an old man brain fart, but my reasoning goes like this. Tune the tenor to GCEA. At the first fret, pitch will G#C#FA#. Put the strings on the Kamoa to the same tension as the tenor. They will be at G#C#FA#. To get them down to GCEA, you have to reduce tension. What am I missing?

No, that makes sense, and I'm wrong--though I do often put concert strings on my tenors--I wonder why it feels better to me, when I don't really like higher-tension strings. I should switch the concert strings onto my Bb tenors and see how that works.

But then, shouldn't concert strings on a 16" scale uke increase the tension, rather than lowering it even more (as you said in your first reply)?

Are the concert strings thicker or thinner than the tenor strings? This info is more important than the label. If they are thicker then tension will be higher, if they are thinner then tension be lower.

No, that makes sense, and I'm wrong--though I do often put concert strings on my tenors--I wonder why it feels better to me, when I don't really like higher-tension strings. I should switch the concert strings onto my Bb tenors and see how that works.

But then, shouldn't concert strings on a 16" scale uke increase the tension, rather than lowering it even more (as you said in your first reply)?
That last part is iffy. Concert strings on 16" will certainly increase the tension compared to a 15" concert. But comparing tenor strings on 16" vs concert strings on 16", there's no good way to tell. It will depend on the gauges. For example, the Living Water C and E strings are the same gauge in the concert and tenor sets so there would be no difference there, but the G and A strings are thinner for concert. So if you tighten the concert G and loosen the tenor G, which will be higher tension? I say there's no way to tell but try each.

FWIW, I have Martin M600s which are a soprano/concert set on a Bb tenor and they work. Definitely on the low side as far as tension but not too low.

Are you asking for our permission? Go for it! :p

Seriously, it should work just fine. They will be a little lower tension on the Kamoa. Concert strings should also work fine and will likely be even lower tension
Jim as always is correct! Thank you granting the permission!

The Soprano/Concert/Tenor sizings for ukuleles is a bit misleading.
They're not discrete instruments. They're traditionally tuned the same.

Concerts and Tenors are just longer, larger sopranos.

Strings should be named by gauge/tension/scale length; not "soprano, concert or tenor".
It's a bit counter-intuitive compared to what we see on other instruments like guitars and violins.

Regarding strings, what would be the value of putting classical guitar (nylon) strings on a 1k+ value tenor ukulele? I don't know enough about strings to know how that would change the tone of say a blackbird or a K series, but I am definitely curious.

I mention value because the quality of the instrument is reasonably high and usually they have equally fine quality strings...would something like classical guitar strings make a difference?

Regarding strings, what would be the value of putting classical guitar (nylon) strings on a 1k+ value tenor ukulele? I don't know enough about strings to know how that would change the tone of say a blackbird or a K series, but I am definitely curious.

I mention value because the quality of the instrument is reasonably high and usually they have equally fine quality strings...would something like classical guitar strings make a difference?

Ukulele strings are the same material as Classical guitar strings.
In some brands, their ukulele sets are literally re-packaged classical guitar strings.
For example, for D'addario Pro-Arte nylon strings, the "Concert Ukulele" set string gauges are identical to the DGBE strings of the Normal Tension Classical guitar set, and Tenor ukulele corresponds to their Hard tension set.

Just use the DGBE strings of any classical guitar set and tune it up to GCEA on a Soprano, Concert or Tenor ukulele (Normal tension is normal, but you can choose Hard if you prefer harder tension).

Of course, this will give you a low-G tuning with a wound G string.
If you want high-G, just use another guitar 1st string. Since classical guitar strings are long, you might be able to get both a high G and A string.

You can use classical guitar strings on a baritone ukulele - just use the middle 4 strings (ADGB) and tune up to DGBE.
Heck, if you use the EADG strings from a classical guitar set, you can tune a Baritone ukulele to an octave low GCEA.

As for whether there are actually "fine" strings.. it's a matter of preference.
Expensive strings doesn't always equate to being better. I think beyond the cheapo strings, it's less about the "quality level", but more to do with your preference. My favourite are the D'addario Pro-Arte series of nylon strings.

Last edited:
When I got my 16 inch Cocobolo I enquired the maker whether to use concert or tenor strings. As I recall they use concert strings, but suggested I tried both to find my prefence.
I will stick with concert strings, I dont need more tension.

Last edited:
StringsbyMail.com

Sells Savarez Nylon guitar strings cut and repackaged as ukulele strings.
The standard Tenor strings are: A = 0.57mm; E = 0.69mm; C = 0.81mm; G = 0.57mm.

They also have custom string mixes created by a UU Forum member. Which includes a High-g and a Low-G set.

I bought a set of each, but I have not tried them yet. The order was filled and sent within a day of ordering them.

It's worth trying different strings on your instrument, especially if it's a good quality instrument. I used different strings on different instruments which are used for different purposes. I like brighter strings for strumming, and warmer for finger picking. My KoAloah soprano is very bright sounding and needs smoother strings, and so Worth browns seem to suit that one best. See what sounds suit your instrument

I’ve been on a recent tangent of putting concert strings on tenor ukuleles with very good results. I’ve also tried tuning down a step or half step, On Some ukuleles, I like the down a half step. My next strings by mail order will be all concert strings. I will experiment with both normal tuning and down a half step! . It’s all fun And what feels and sounds best on that ukulele.

I want to take the Living Water strings off my tenor, which is 17" from nut to saddle, and put them on my Kamoa Super Concert, which is 16" from nut to saddle.
As long as the strings are relatively new, and have stretched out evenly. Meaning: if you pinch the string and run your fingers up and down the length it feels uniform in diameter, you're good to go. If it feels as though the strings varies from thinner to thicker areas, you don't want to reuse them. I can tell wth the C-string, but the others are too fine for me to accurately feel.

Even the best quality strings can sometimes have uneven sections. Some makers sell strings that they grind down the diameter to ensure that the string is as uniform as possible.

If the strings are old, why bother? They will be nearing their maximum stretch. Or if they are really old, getting stiffer and less compliant.

Top Bottom