String ties...

At that price I would definitely send them back. They seem to have a bit of an issue properly filling orders as I was sent guitar lubricant first, but they apologized, sent me the right string ties, and told me to keep the lube. Worth the hassle for me...

I'm just wondering, why would we use string ties at all since it seem to add more weight than just twisting the strings?

I know changing strings may be a pain, but it doesn't happen too often. Is saving a few seconds worth the extra weight and bad looks with the string ties?

Question, and it is not a criticism, it is curiosity. Why would the weight of four little plastic thingies at the bridge be your first consideration?

Question, and it is not a criticism, it is curiosity. Why would the weight of four little plastic thingies at the bridge be your first consideration?

Judging from the directions on how to install them, I'm not sure they are much less involved or quicker to tie. However, I'm willing to give them a try.

String Ties Instr.jpg

May even protect a soft top from the ends of tied strings from scratching the surface.

Last edited:
I heard back from the owner of Rosette Guitar Products. He apologized for sending me the wrong set. He said to keep these and he'll mail me the correct ones. All is well!

Sounds like great customer service. Even though they messed up the orders.

I use their rub-on side fret markers for my uke necks that don't have them. Easy to apply. I have to replace them once a year or so.

Why add unnecessary weight to the uke top.

If you are answering my question with a question, I guess I'll have to ask why not? Especially 2 grams, or .07 oz? Which I didn't know when I asked me original question.

If you are answering my question with a question, I guess I'll have to ask why not? Especially 2 grams, or .07 oz? Which I didn't know when I asked me original question.

Ah, it does sound like a question. Don't know why I put "why" when I should have put something like "don't need to".

The thing is, the string tie adds no value except maybe save a few seconds of time during a string change (and some here say it doesn't even do that). Builders lighten the top with thin wood and interesting bracing, and here's something completely unnecessary that goes opposite that.

Perhaps there is value to folks who can't tie the strings without them.

Ah, it does sound like a question. Don't know why I put "why" when I should have put something like "don't need to".

The thing is, the string tie adds no value except maybe save a few seconds of time during a string change (and some here say it doesn't even do that). Builders lighten the top with thin wood and interesting bracing, and here's something completely unnecessary that goes opposite that.

Perhaps there is value to folks who can't tie the strings without them.
Fair enough. I agree with you that it seems to be a solution looking for a problem.

I taught knot tying while in the Navy, and again for the "basic boating" course in later years so tying on ukulele strings is not a problem for me. The value I see is eliminating a lot of unnecessary stretching with new strings and I actually like the way they look. "To each his own" as they say... either way, the strings have settled in (much faster than the last set that I tied on) and they sound great!

I also did all the splicing (flag halyards) and decorative rope work (railings) on the USS Midway and USS Hepburn while I was stationed on them. But that's beside the point. The Aquila Lava strings I put on really sound great, but just 4 days later, I have already noticed wear on the wound strings at the frets. (I play a lot...) I've only had this particular baritone uke about a month and a half, and is the reason I changed out the original strings in the first place. (They also sounded good) if I run my fingernail under the wound string I can feel it catch a little which tells me that the winding is already wearing out. I like the sound of a wound string but this really bothers me, so I just ordered a set of Worth clear baritone strings from "Uke Like the Pros". Looking forward to seeing how they sound...
Time to try a set with no wound strings...

I also did all the splicing (flag halyards) and decorative rope work (railings) on the USS Midway and USS Hepburn while I was stationed on them. But that's beside the point. The Aquila Lava strings I put on really sound great, but just 4 days later, I have already noticed wear on the wound strings at the frets. (I play a lot...) I've only had this particular baritone uke about a month and a half, and is the reason I changed out the original strings in the first place. (They also sounded good) if I run my fingernail under the wound string I can feel it catch a little which tells me that the winding is already wearing out. I like the sound of a wound string but this really bothers me, so I just ordered a set of Worth clear baritone strings from "Uke Like the Pros". Looking forward to seeing how they sound...
Time to try a set with no wound strings...

Have you tried Savarez wound Low-G string sets? They are made up of their guitar strings repurposed for ukulele. Available from StringsbyMail.com
Strings by Mail also has some Savarez string set combinations created by one of our members in their custom string sets.

Fremont Soloist wound, and some other mfgs' like Living Waters, have plain fluorocarbon Low-G strings, available at several sellers. Such as: UkeRepublic.com, Stringsandbeyond.com, LucysUkuleles on Ebay (Fremont). And I'm sure others I have forgotten.

PS: It's very cool the you did that rope work for the Navy and the Museum ships.

Last edited:
I just received a set. Instructions are awkward, each photo is from the opposite side of the previous, all the photos should be the same orientation from the same side of the tie and there should be a bridge in each photo as well. I did a dry run and they seem to be effective and a little easier, but not by much.

Are you putting them on your bamboo uke?

No, that has a good set of black beads. I saw that Rosette has a set of white, but it would be nice if they made a set in the bone color of most saddles. They are very obvious when installed, that color coordination would be a factor for me. For now I'll wait for a uke to which the black will match, but a while ago I bought a tube of multi colored beads just for color matching to my ukes.

Last edited:
I have used them on a few classical guitars, where the bridge saddle had been sanded down, to lower the action and then the angle between the saddle and the bridge itself, became very shallow, because a tied string, will pull up the string piece leaving the bridge saddle. With the string ties, you can make an old instrument work again.

See the drawing on the left

crosssectionsbridge.png

My "Worth clear " string set arrived today. This is my first experience with no wound strings on a baritone uke, and I must admit that they are different. They don't seem to have the projection or sustain on the "Aquila Lava" set but maybe that will change with time. Anyway, I will use these for a while and see if I get to like them...

Top Bottom