Koa Works Concert

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTurner

Reaction score
Up for sale is my Koa Works Concert built by Rich Godfrey.

Body: Quarter-sawn Hawaiian Koa wood on face, back and sides
Fretboard and bridge: musicians grade Macassar ebony
Top and back binding (black/white purfling) and bound fretboard: milo wood
Rosette and fretboard binding: mango wood
Position markers on positions 5, 7, 10, 12, and 15: paua shell.
Abalone or ‘paua’ shell ‘Honu’ inlay on headstock representing the Hawaiian sea turtle.
Professional Gotoh machine tuners
Honduran mahogany wood neck with truss rod
Matching Hawaiian Koa wood headstock veneer
Molokai deer antler nut and saddle
High-gloss finish* (see below)

I purchased this concert in 2015 (along with a Koa Works tenor). It has been a terrific instrument, easy to play, light and comfortable. The volume on this uke is exceptional, I was stunned when I first played it in person. There is a full tone—warm, with lots of sustain. Intonation is very good all along the neck. Action is low, currently strung with Romero fluorocarbon strings in high g. Strummed or picked, it is absolutely a wonderful ukulele. Nice sound balance over all strings. Individual notes within chords are very clear and balanced.

The koa wood textures and color are rich and eye-catching. The milo binding contrasts just right on the edge. The ebony fretboard is unusual with the varying lines of black, brown and tan. The Gotohs are smooth and sure and the gold color gives the headstock a kind of sparkle. The fitting and luthier work are excellent, top-notch quality. Binding all around, and on neck, is superbly done. The neck is slightly thicker and heavier than my I’iwi or Pohaku concerts, which I believe is due to the truss rod. But this slight extra weight feels comfortable while playing up and down the neck, nicely substantial.

*The basic finish is high-gloss. When polished and buffed it has a nice shine. However, over time numerous small (tiny) bubbles have formed in the finish. There is no pattern to them but probably resulted from lack of complete curing. (I kept an Oasis humidifier always in its case) In a couple of places the binding has developed some very small noticeable spots where the finish has slightly dulled and lightened. Just below the fretboard on the top there is some wearing away of the finish (can be faintly seen in one photo I’ve included). Additionally, at first fret area on the back of the neck there is a spot about half an inch long where the finish has worn away. It has been there a while but I have kept the area clean and use polish regularly. This finish issue may be of concern to some players. In most light and while playing, you will not notice any of these points I mention. You can run your finger over the bubbles and feel very little. If a pristine finish is important to you, this is not the uke for you—but if you’re looking for a player concert, this will fill the bill and you’ll love the sound, the volume, the warmth and feel in the hand.

Current cost for a KoaWorks concert would be about $1500. Given the age of this concert and the finish issues I am deeply cutting the price to $700 plus shipping. Includes Oahu hard case. PayPal preferred for payment; you pay any fees.

Sound file: https://app.box.com/s/pwvqzkpex9wo8q3cgsvsusjp5qrqhe40

Here too is a song I uploaded to the Links and Videos thread on UU, played on this concert: http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?110447-My-Foolish-Heart

Attachments

• IMG_4407.jpg
    IMG_4407.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_4408.jpg
    IMG_4408.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_4409.jpg
    IMG_4409.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_4413.jpg
    IMG_4413.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_4414.jpg
    IMG_4414.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
I'm very interested. What's your reason for selling?

Also, would you be willing to meet up in person instead of shipping? I'm also in Cali.

necessaryrooster: I'd like to partially fund a new uke and to keep my herd small. ; )

I'll PM you.

I sent you a response; not sure if it went through.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom