Instrumentals, part II

aspieman456

Reaction score
Seasons 493 - Instrumentals, part II

It's been a long, long time since I remember our seasonista, Randy McSorley, did a seasons based around the idea of instrumentals six years ago. That was a long time. And there were a lot of them going around, with the frenzied talented people here.

Here's the gist. I want to do a new instrumental seasons with new songs and styles. We haven't had one in such a long time. All you have to do is pick out a song that's sung or in instrumental form, and fingerpick or strum the chords on your uke.

I believe that this should be a challenge for all ukulele players to try their hand at. However, if you're not up to it, then grab another instrument, like a kazoo or a harmonica and play with it. Or just whistle, hum, or scat. Go crazy with it. As Randy would say, Don't let it hinder your efforts.

RULES:

Contest goes from Sunday, 12:00 am to Sunday, 12:00 am, both Hawaiian time.

Cover song and original works are gratefully welcome. Collaborations and multitracks are cheerfully welcome, also.

There's no limit on the videos. Send in as many as you want.

No prizes this week.

As a tribute, here's Randy's seasons 184 playlist:https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHVBET5n3aORLStwykhLyh1Xuj84rgUbq

I'll get the current playlist going when the first videos are presnted.
Here's the playlist:https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLt6GoZiXwSau_VBS4FXmyugIshHdNVLFi

Meanwhile, you'll have a great time coming up with a lot of non-singing material. Good luck to all.

Dave McMillin

Last edited:
I think that 'Midsomer Murders' is shown worldwide, so hopefully most of you may be familiar with the programme and the theme music.
I'm very pleased with the way that this turned out with my whistle replacing the theremin quite well ...

It appears that I'm having some trouble getting the playlist on this post. I'll try to get the problem solved as soon as I can.

Here's Living In The Country by Pete Seeger. I did this a few moths ago, but I love doing it. It makes use of the 4th string as a melody string.

I moved downstairs because Maggie was using the upstairs room for her Zoom dance class.

petesshubb.jpg

Hey, Dave.

Thanks for hosting and what a relief that I don't have to learn any words this week!

Here's one of my favourite pieces of film music from one of my heroes (both film makerly and musically), John Carpenter. The main theme from his 1978 horror classic, Halloween.

Originally written for piano/keyboard, I've attempted it purely on ukuleles - baritone, 8 string (through a tiny Orange amp) and 6 string tenor.

Nice easy Neopolitan song much loved by Pavarotti, finger picked on an ashbury concert.

Here's another one where my uke just backs up the mouth harp.
Blind Mary - Turlough O'Carolan Mouth Harp & Ukulele

Turlough O'Carolan (1670 – 1738) was a blind Irish harper who traveled Ireland playing and composing harp tunes and songs. Many of his tunes and songs, like Blind Mary, are designated as planxties, an obscure term, that Carolan apparently invented or popularized to signify a tribute to a patron. In return for writing songs in honour of wealthy patrons, Carolan was often welcomed as an honoured guest to stay on their estates.
The first time I played this tune publicly, was as a harp duet with Jennifer McIntyre on Celtic harp and me on mouth harp as part of a Piper's Hut concert. I showed the tune to my friend Zeke Mazurek, and it became one of his signature pieces. When Zeke lost his battle with cancer, I played Blind Mary at a memorial concert.

Piper's Hut at Orono.jpg
The Piper's Hut's first show -
Jim Yates, Ted Staunton, Bernie Martin, Jennifer McIntyre, Maggie Yates, Zeke Mazurek, Wendell Trineer.

I just listened to this and realised that I was singing along with the mouth harp. I didn't realise I was actually making noise with my mouth. Hope that doesn't disqualify me.

Last edited:
Hi Dave! Thank you for hosting and this theme will challenge me. I’ll be away from home this week, but I’m taking an instrument, so we shall see…. Here is a Django Reinhardt song from 1940, Nuages, which is French for Clouds. He originally played it in F, then G, but I am in C, playing an arrangement I learned from the utterly fabulous Ginger Johnson at Strathmore Ukefest in Bethesda, Maryland here in the US a few summers ago. Look her up, and her duo, The Hula Honeys. You won’t be sorry.

Nuages
Django Reinhardt

A brief interlude, to point out that once again we have no host for the Season starting on Sunday. If anyone wants to take a turn, head over to the sign-up thread. Thanks.

Never one to turn down an invitation to whistle, I started to think of a few possibles. This one has been stuck in my head for 24 hours, but I can't remember who had a hit with it (possibly late 60s) or what it was called. Answers please...

...And thanks to BobJKing, who recognised it as a hit for Whistling Jack Smith in 1967.

Last edited:
Here's a very abridged version of this Allman Brothers classic.

Never one to turn down an invitation to whistle, I started to think of a few possibles. This one has been stuck in my head for 24 hours, but I can't remember who had a hit with it (possibly late 60s) or what it was called. Answers please!

Great tune Steve! It's "I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman" by Whistling Jack Smith!

Thank you for hosting, Dave!

I tried something! I will try harder in the next one!

(The animations are by my nephews Gylan and Jensen)

Last edited:
Never one to turn down an invitation to whistle, I started to think of a few possibles. This one has been stuck in my head for 24 hours, but I can't remember who had a hit with it (possibly late 60s) or what it was called. Answers please...

...And thanks to BobJKing, who recognised it as a hit for Whistling Jack Smith in 1967.

I was trying to tell you, but my tablet wouldn't play ball. :^(
it was also done by the Wurzels as 'Farmer Bill's Cowman' :^)

Top Bottom