Strings Tenor Strings on a Concert?

kkimura

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Sorry, I know this question is very similar to the "Tenor strings on super concert?" thread but I couldn't see the answer to my question there.
I have a set of Worth clear low G strings (CT-LG) on my tenor that I like the sound of. Can I put them on a concert scale ukulele without any bad effects? I'm concerned about the strings feeling too stiff or too loose.

Last edited:
Well, as we discussed in the other thread, they will be less tension than the same strings on a tenor (assuming standard tuning) but it's hard to say if they will be more or less tension than a concert set (with presumably thinner strings). You might possibly run into trouble with nut slots on the concert being too narrow.

Thanks for your thoughts Jim. I'll compare string gauges and if the difference isn't too bad, I'll give the tenor strings a try on my concert.

Here are the string sizes of the original Alohi. latest Worth Brown low G and proposed Worth Clear "Tenor" low g strings for my concert ukulele. Based on the original Alohi string sizes the nut slots are big enough for the Worth CT-LG strings except for the 4th low G string. However, I've had the Worth BM-LG strings on for a while now with no mods to the nut and haven't had any issues.

View attachment Strings.doc

Last edited:
If it means anything, I prefer using tenor strings on sopranos and concert strings on tenors.

I feel like many brands have made soprano strings too thin and tenor strings too thick. It balances out.

I posted the same question several years ago when I had a leftover pack of Martin tenor strings and I considered putting them on a concert that needed new strings. I vaguely remember that fairly unanimous advice was to not do it as tension might damage the instrument. So I bought some d'addario fluorocarbon strings for concert size that were fine for all these years now. Still haven't used the Martin strings

I vaguely remember that fairly unanimous advice was to not do it as tension might damage the instrument.

I would have disagreed.
I frequently use tenor strings on sopranos and concerts. Have done so for over a decade with no issues.
Theoretically I doubt it would cause any damage.

The shorter scale is better suited to handle higher gauge strings than longer scale.

The ukulele string industry is strange. For some reason, higher tension strings are produced for longer scales (tenor) and lower tension is produced for shorter scales (soprano). This is actually counter-intuitive when you consider other mainstream instruments like the guitar and violin family; where higher tension strings are preferred on shorter scales.

I would have disagreed.
I frequently use tenor strings on sopranos and concerts. Have done so for over a decade with no issues.
Theoretically I doubt it would cause any damage.

The shorter scale is better suited to handle higher gauge strings than longer scale.

The ukulele string industry is strange. For some reason, higher tension strings are produced for longer scales (tenor) and lower tension is produced for shorter scales (soprano). This is actually counter-intuitive when you consider other mainstream instruments like the guitar and violin family; where higher tension strings are preferred on shorter scales.

Interesting concept, thank you, and directly applicable to my questions. I'm going to try those Worth CT-LG strings on my concert.

Putting concert strings on a tenor feels really good for most strings the tension is less. I’ve been experimenting with this and with tuning down a half step. Both work fine. I can’t imagine hurting any ukulele tuning up or putting thicker string on soprano for a test. You would quickly know if tension was too much or something felt wierd.

the nice thing about ukulele, no real rules and fun to experiment.

With arthritis in my thumbs, I’ve had to experiment. Also, adjusting my grip on fretboard. Trying to be more relaxed, no death grip. Etc. …..it all helps for sure. Today is a bad day so no playing and typing with index finger. LOL.

Have fun,

As Jim points out, moving the same strings from a tenor to concert will give less tension. In general, going from tenor to concert, the same strings will have about 3/4 the tension on the concert as on the tenor.

Now specifically for your CT Worth tenor set vs CM and CL for concerts. If the chart is correct, your CT set will have the same tension for the 2nd and 3rd strings as the CL or CM sets for a concert (same thickness). The 1st string will have slightly more tension using your CT than the other sets. The chart doesn't go into low G, but again, a thicker string means more tension.

Top Bottom