Second tenor Kala KA-ASCP-T or Ohana 90sc

Aloha1985

Reaction score
I have a koaloha ktm-00 that I love. And a Kala koa elite concert. I am thinking of getting a second tenor. I am also wondering if a second all koa - Kala elite koa tenor would sound significantly different from my koaloha. I am rather intrigued by the different sounds different tone woods make. I went to my local guitar center, Sam ash stores and they have mainly low end laminates. Thanks in advance.

I'm a little confused what kind of tenor you're looking for. The Kala and Ohana seem so completely different from one another in woods, lower in price, and then you're considering a Kala Elite koa tenor which would be more pricey, but the same wood as your KoAloha. I have at KoAloha KTM-00 that I love, so based on having that in common with you, I'm going to suggest a tenor that will be different in wood from what you have, beautiful in looks, and sound as lovely as your KTM. It's the aNueNue AMM3 mahogany tenor. I love mine as much as my KoAloha KTM.

If you don't like your KoAloha ktm-00, then I can understand why you want to buy the Kala KA-ASCP-T or the Ohana 90. Howeve, you mentioned "I have a koaloha ktm-00 that I love." My advice is not to buy either of those 2 ukes because you'll just have to sell them at a loss later.

The wood is quite secondary to the overall design in affecting sound. As you are used to a Hawaiian built uke you will perceive a mass produced Kala or Ohana as a major step back, though it might be handy to have one for situations that you don't want your KoAloha take to. But if you get a Kamaka or Kanile'a tenor you will find them quite different and possibly more distinguished, even though they are also made of Koa.

Thanks. Based on yours and others replies I will look into the Anuenue amm3 or another Hawaiian koa.

Thanks. I will look into getting one of those or the Anuenue amm3 that was mentioned. I was afraid I would be disappointed in the quality of the mass produced but didn’t want another Hawaiian koa if it would sound the same.

Thanks. I will be following yours and others advice and skip the mass produced

Top Bottom