Kitty introduction

Kitty101

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Kitty. I am fairly new to ukuleles, I started nearly a year ago on a tenor and I'm very happy with it. I just won an almost new koa laminate by ibanez for under 50 dollars, it sounds great and I am interested in knowing what type of string to put on it.

Welcome to UU, Kitty!

Unfortunately I can't help you with your question, but I'm sure there will be somebody else to help you answer it.
However, I would recommend that you'd start a new thread in a more relevant forum (not the New Member Introduction), maybe Uke Talk. You will get more experienced help there.

Hi Kitty,

Welcome to the UU Forum. It's great that you have taken up ukulele. I play tenors exclusively because I prefer their sound.

There are lots and lots of string choices available. The first question is: Do you prefer the sound of Nylon strings, or Fluorocarbons? (There are lots of subdivision formulas.)

I'm guessing you might want to try some bright strings for your laminate. I prefer fluorocarbon strings. Oasis Brights or Worth clears might be a good place to start.

Some strings sound better than others on individual instruments. So any suggestions from us will be guesses. You'll have to try different strings to find the ones you like the best.

I'm also thinking that you might want to get a setup for your new uke. Most factory ukes have pretty high strings. The thinking is that the buyer can have them adjusted to meet their needs.

Welcome, Kitty.

As long as you relax and concentrate on having fun, you will enjoy playing your ukulele.

As far as string type, “everyone” has their own opinion. You first need to decide if you want a bright sound or a warm sound. From tbere, the options multiply. And the choice of strings makes a remarkable difference in how the ukulele sounds and plays. As Kenn says, it might be a good idea to have the instrument set up, to adjust the string height to what is comfortable for you.

Good luck, have fun and stay vaccinated —- UAS is highly contagious. ��

Hi, and welcome to UU. I can't recommend any strings, every uke is different and so it every player's preference. i guess you'll just have to try some out.
(psst, I use Oasis and Worth strings exclusively)

Welcome Kitty! I am afraid the only answer to what strings to fit on your instrument,is to get some that you have heard good things about,and try them! If they do not suit you, change the brand/make when you next re-string. It is all down to personal preference and choice.

Top Bottom